When do you think EV sales will surpass all other car sales in the US?

EVs sales will be more than 50% of all US sales in...

• 2023-2030

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 2031-2035

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 2036-2040

• 2041-2045

• 2046-2050

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2050

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dalewilson

Joined Jun 21, 2021
Hi all,

I am appealing to the wisdom of crowds and our AAC community. According to one published report I found, EVs accounted for just under 5% of car sales in the US in early 2022. So, I am curious. When do you think EVs will surpass 50% of all US car sales? I would also love to hear your thoughts and reasoning in the comments.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
all the reasons of lack of charging infrastructure (in homes and at work) in addition to expectation to drive long distances for vacations or business trips. Lack of lithium extraction and refining and recycling capacity - and dependence on relatively rare (expensive to concentrate) lithium, cobalt and nickel as the storage and anode materials.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
All of which makes gasoline ICEs realatively cheaper. Although Chrysler has announced they will no longer manufacture HEMI engines and the Dodge Charger and Challengers will no longer be made.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
There's no option in the Poll for "never".
Hitherto Hidden-Technologies will be made public which will render both obsolete.
Hitherto hidden technologies made public? What is the advantage of keeping them hidden? Who is keeping them hidden? Who developed them? How did you learn that these technologies exist?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Teach me how to build a race-winning Formula-1-Engine .........
by Text-Messaging me everything I need to know .............

I'll reply by asking if You know the common stories about the rise and fall of Nikola Tesla.
If You don't, you've got a lot of reading to do,
which is very pertinent to a well rounded education in Electricity and Electronics.
And, this is just one example, one subject, one technology, there are hundreds more.

The US-Patent-Office is still a Private-Corporation of the United-Kingdom, look it up,
( but not on Google or Wikipedia, try the Duck-Duck-Go Search-Engine )

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Teach me how to build a race-winning Formula-1-Engine .........
by Text-Messaging me everything I need to know .............

I'll reply by asking if You know the common stories about the rise and fall of Nikola Tesla.
If You don't, you've got a lot of reading to do,
which is very pertinent to a well rounded education in Electricity and Electronics.
And, this is just one example, one subject, one technology, there are hundreds more.

The US-Patent-Office is still a Private-Corporation of the United-Kingdom, look it up,
( but not on Google or Wikipedia, try the Duck-Duck-Go Search-Engine )
You mean the great Mr Tesla who made a fortune from investors? The guy who was so good at convincing investors to give him money that he kept doing it when he ran out of ideas? The ideas were ok and plausible at first, but eventually, the ideas got so bad that no investor would give him money. He died with notebooks full of untested, unrealistic ideas & claims that no investor would fund. Some were marked "death Ray" and other exciting names that would play well on a stage as he loved making lectures in an era before movie theaters, radio and televisions. Nobody was interested in his performances once other forms of entertainment became common and he fell out of the public eye. He moved from hotel to hotel with unpaid bills following him as he spent his fortune on grandiose experiments that didn't work and were not funded. He died without a penny to his name. The maid at the hotel was startled when she ignored the, do not disturb sign on his door and entered the room containing his dead body. She saw the notebooks with the "death Ray" and other startling experiment names. The New York police wanted to make sure none of the vials or equipment was dangerous - it was well known by 1943 that Madame Curie had died of radiation poisoning and they wanted to make sure nothing was dangerous to the maid, the hotel workers oe future guests in that room so they called experts at the FBI. The FBI called an MIT professor, John Trump (Donald Trump's Uncle) ro review the equipment, vials and notebooks. Nothing was worth anything and nothing was dangerous. The room was cleaned, the contents placed in shipping crates and sent to his home city. He fell into non-existance until the SI unit for magnetic flux as named after him in 1960. Eventually, the internet was invented and many folklore stories were retold and embellished to make him some type of god in certain circles. Rumors of his failed experiment at Wardenclyffe and the tower were retold to make him sound like a hero instead of a second-rate inventor who couldn't believe Marconi beat him to the wireless communication game. You mean that guy?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I believe that legislation based on political opinion and lobbied pressure (but not on scientific information or common sense) will eventually cause the change. It will be extremely inconvenient and financially crippling to the general population, but the lobbyists and politicians will profit handsomely. That's the way most major technical changes take place nowadays.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hitherto hidden technologies made public? What is the advantage of keeping them hidden? Who is keeping them hidden? Who developed them? How did you learn that these technologies exist?
He made claims earlier in his time on the forum of designing and making an engine that was mostly plastic and needed no cooling. He was also advertising on a "go fund me" type page for investors in his ideas. Don't have a clue how much he raised if any.

The whole thing reminded me of the old "200mile per gallon carburetor" story from the 1960-1970 era. A myth that never was.

Personally I'm still waiting for the proof of heads exploding from the knowledge he was privy to. So far it doesn't seem to have happened. :)

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Your predispositions may lead to much misery.
Please be discerning with whom You choose to believe.
I believe what I've seen and tested. Are you implying I am fooling myself? Then the jokes on me and I'll just have to live with my successes. Too bad for me.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I'm sure You will never be made in to a fool again, (whenever, whatever, and however that may have been).
It happens to everyone at some point in their lives.
It may help to just laugh-it-off and get-on with Life.

You can only develop wisdom by being wrong many, many times,
and then learning from those mistakes,
if You don't learn anything from your mistakes,
You will make more and more mistakes,
and then start blaming those mistakes on other people or things,
and that's a miserable way to live.

If You can't laugh at yourself,
the latter has already become the norm for You.
You can change this at any time that You choose,
but only if You can imagine the value in it.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
It's going to be a couple generations yet. A single car household can easily go electric. A multiple car household will have some planning and adjusting to be able to charge all vehicles. An apartment dweller is going to have a hard time charging their car. Most established complexes don't have the room to add charging stations, and the buildings themselves were not designed to have the load of several cars charging on their systems.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm sure You will never be made in to a fool again, (whenever, whatever, and however that may have been).

tl;dr

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Or you can spend 40 days in jail because you believe what someone once told you about traffic court and paying tickets. :p :cool: :eek: