$10 Trillion bank note on eBay

Ya'll realize the Selective Service hasn't drafted anyone since 1974. The law has to change as men AND women should be required to register as there are very few jobs restricted to men in the military today. But they skirted around the law before Jan 2016.

They skirt around the law, as women serve in "support" units. Read Ashley's War, the story of one such support unit that was in the field with the men, and have been for a while, when Lt Ashley was shot and killed. I read the kindle version while awaiting at the VA.
I'm with Aleph on this one! Enslavement (with the {highly qualified and carefully administered} exception of penal servitude) represents crimes against humanity! Furthermore, inasmuch as military servitude often results in death or disability, compulsory military servitude is utterly indistinguishable from the foulest human rights violations seen anywhere - past or present! For said reason I have long held that Woodrow Wilson represents America's equivalent to Joseph Stalin and should be decried as such! Howbeit such -in and of itself- would be over simplistic inasmuch as the blame for institutionalized atrocity rests upon more - many more - than its instigator...

The law has to change as men AND women should be required to register
And I would argue that no one should be compelled to register or serve! -- That said, if your point is merely that gender inequity 'compounds the crime' - I agree! -- Equal rights can not and do not exist in the absence of equal responsibility - or, case in point, liability!

As to the zealots:
Daniel Webster ostensibly said:
A man who will not defend his country is unfit to live
And I would argue that a GOVERNMENT whom must resort to enslavement and murder of law abiding citizens by way of its defense has neither reason nor right to exist! -- FWIW I do not believe the US has fallen that far.... Yet...

To be clear - I have no problem with the USA! -- In point of fact I cannot think of anywhere I'd rather reside!:) --- Howbeit there may be (and commonly are) veritable light years intervening love of one's homeland and respect for the governing organization{s} thereof!

With utmost sincerity
HP

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I see the military as an opportunity which comes with potential risks. I could avoid those risks, but I would pay someone for a quality education. If I accept those risks, I get educated while I work and they pay me.

Do the moral math for yourself. Acceptable to some and not acceptable to others. You decide.

Draft/conscription scenarios totally change the calculus.

I see the military as an opportunity which comes with potential risks. I could avoid those risks, but I would pay someone for a quality education. If I accept those risks, I get educated while I work and they pay me.

Do the moral math for yourself. Acceptable to some and not acceptable to others. You decide.
To be clear I'm not anti-military -- quite the contrary!:) --- I am, however, anti-conscription and, for that matter, 'anti-(compulsory) jury duty', 'anti-(compulsory) material witness', 'Anti-incarceration sans probable cause/immediate statement of charges', etc... -- I'd like to think 'Land of The Free' is more than a mere 'tag line'...

Draft/conscription scenarios totally change the calculus.
Exactly!

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
To be clear I'm not anti-military -- quite the contrary!:) --- I am, however, anti-conscription and, for that matter, 'anti-(compulsory) jury duty', 'anti-(compulsory) material witness', 'Anti-incarceration sans probable cause/immediate statement of charge' etc... -- I'd like to think 'Land of The Free' is more than a mere 'tag line'...

Exactly!

Very best regards
Well, I'd rather have a jury of my peers than a groups of the 12 volunteers eagerly waiting at the courthouse to be picked so they can earn their $7/day.

The "land of the free" tag line came from a songwriter, not our government. If I would write a song about songs about rainbows emanating from your ass, would you expect that to be true as well?

Well, I'd rather have a jury of my peers than a groups of the 12 volunteers eagerly waiting at the courthouse to be picked so they can earn their $7/day.
I'll grant you that the concept of 'professional Jurors' is less than auspicious!:eek: -- Even so 'He who is convinced against his will remains a doubter still';) To wit: I somehow doubt 12 'minor thralls', having been deprived of it themselves, will be entirely on the side of justice:eek:;)

The "land of the free" tag line came from a songwriter, not our government.
Even so - said sentiment has long resonated with a great number of US citizens as a founding principle:)

not our government.
Somehow I'm not surprised!:rolleyes:

Our government
--Emphasis added--
If you wish to own that lot - such is certainly your privilege:) - As for me? - I'd rather not!:eek:

The ruling passion, be it what it will. The ruling passion conquers reason still -- Pope

If I would write a song about songs about rainbows emanating from your ass, would you expect that to be true as well?
Not likely?:confused: -- That said, it's several orders of magnitude more plausible than anything coming out of Washington lately:D

Respectfully

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The ruling passion, be it what it will. The ruling passion conquers reason still"
Ah, I'm arguing about dreamers inspired by poets and songwriters. Compromises have to be made to implement inn. reality. Kind of like the difference between theory and practice. Let me be the first to tell you, there is no utopia.

Ah, I'm arguing about dreamers inspired by poets and songwriters. Compromises have to be made to implement inn. reality. Kind of like the difference between theory and practice. Let me be the first to tell you, there is no utopia.
There's a lot of ground between utopia and thralldom!:) - IMNSHO Liberty is not for sale - at any price!

Hey @GopherT? Inasmuch as we've each made our points and having reached an impasse - what say we call a truce? - I've never known any good come from belaborment of a political discussion...:confused:

Very best regards

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Slave wages ... Obviously some have not looked at the pay scales lately. Base pay does not include special pays or allowances. Pay has increased far beyond that was paid during the draft.

Many use the military as a means to pay for college or escape their current conditions.

Granted, a career is not for everyone.

Conscription will return only when they have to ramp up for a major conflict like WWIII.

Contracts ... Every person entering signs a contract and takes an oath. Even self employed have contracts written or unwritten. The unwritten ones are implied as to the minimum warranty you have on your parts and services.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Lower middle class wage slaves. "I has it".

Just a couple of missed pay checks away from living in a van down by the river.

They will have to find me there before they can repossess my van. :)

It IS the new American freedom. "I has it".

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The political class will not look at old laws as unenforceable and remove them. They would be perceived as doing nothing.
But it does happen. :eek:

Here in Denver businesses are no longer required to have hitching posts outside of their establishments. It did, however, take until late in the 1900's to get rid of this 1800's law. :rolleyes: