Whelen xenon strobe inop

wrenchbender

Joined Jan 8, 2010
This is an older 12 volt strobe and power pack that I'd like to fix. When connected to a 12 volt pwr source, I can hear the electrolytics winding up.
For some reason, the pwr isn't being discharged into the xenon. I'm not totally sure how it works, but maybe you have some suggestions, things I could check out on it. the electrolytics are 300 volt and both do fully charge. A strange small bulb inside seems to slowly iluminate, die, then repeat funtion.
Which part of the circuit releases the charge into the xenon? is it worth messing with?
thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
a little oscillator circuit pulses through a step-up transformer, stores charge in the capacitor, then releases charge through xenon strobe (quick explanation)
the little bulb indicates the charge is complete and the circuit should be outputting to the xenon but it obviously isnt

here is all the info you will ever need on the subject:
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/strbfil.htm

be EXTREMELY careful with this stuff!

attached is a TYPICAL circuit

looking at this, we can see the SCR, the output coil, or the xenon can be defective.
maybe not the SCR as the neon is indicating that the cap is charging and something is discharging the cap so....

we will need a schematic of your unit and some voltage readings
what is the Whelen model #

be CAREFUL!

Attachments

Last edited:

wrenchbender

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I've added a couple of photos of the device for your viewing pleasure. Just below the larger tranformer is a much smaller one about 1/2 inch wide. Its covered up by the aluminum base. thanks again for the info.

wrenchbender

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Unfortunately no, Its an old aircraft strobe. I tried googling the model number but didn't find any schematics. Here is the model: HR, DF-14

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Unfortunately no, Its an old aircraft strobe. I tried googling the model number but didn't find any schematics. Here is the model: HR, DF-14

The HR/DF/14 is a Self contained Double Flash Strobe that runs on 14 volts...

the new Whelen replacement is >> Model HRCFA P/N 01-0770029 just in case you need to purchase a new one....

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
you probably won't find a schematic. it's an aviation thing and field repairs of electronics is typically a no-no. Assistance is non-existent if you are not FAA certified.

we need to isolate which components are good or bad.

the neon is lighting so we are assuming the caps are working.

we will need to check the SCR gate to see if it is getting triggered.
we might assume that it is because the neon is pulsing. but verify.

if the gate is being triggered we need to verify voltage at the anode and ground at the cathode of the SCR.

Check the input and output of the fire transformer. Follow leads back from Xenon for this.

Check the output to the Xenon.

Be VERY VERY careful!!
we love you and don't want to see you get hurt!

there will be 400 volts all over this thing and as much as 4KV at the output end.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The high voltage present can be lethal:

Xenon Strobe Safety

There are two potential hazards in dealing with the innards of electronic flash and other xenon strobe equipment:

1. The energy storage capacitor. Even on small pocket camera electronic flash units, these are rated at 100 to 400 uF at 330 VDC. This is 5 to 20 W-s which is enough to kill you under the right (wrong?) conditions. Hot shoe or side mounted electronic flash units have energy storage capacitors which are usually larger - typically 300-1000 uF or more. High performance studio speed lights may have 10 times this capacity and at much higher voltages resulting in even greater energy storage. Xenon strobes for pumping of solid state laser rods and other industrial and scientific applications may use many kV power supplies with 1000s of W-s energy storage capacitors - touch one of these and you will be but a puff of vapor in the wind... High voltage with high energy storage is an instantly deadly combination. Treat all of these capacitors - even those in tiny pocket cameras with respect. Always confirm that they are discharged before even thinking about touching anything. On larger systems especially, install a shorting jumper after discharging just to be sure - capacitors have been known to recover a portion of their original charge without additional power input. Better to kill the power supply than yourself if you forget to remove it when powering up.
  2. Line connected (no power transformer) have all the dangers associated with AC line power in addition to the large power supply and energy storage capacitors. Always use an isolation transformer when probing line connected systems. However, keep in mind that the power supply filter capacitors and energy storage capacitors remain just as deadly.
This is a part from this page:
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/strbfaq.htm

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The little wire wrapped around the tube is a 4KV injection point. It ionizes the gas in the tube so the main charge, 130-350VDC, stored in one of the large capacitors dumps it's charge all at once. Once the charge is gone the gas become inert and nonconducting again.

You should see see the main charge (the 130-350VDC I mentioned) on the input pins of the tube. If it is there its the 4KV pulse circuit that is malfunctioning.

wrenchbender

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for all the warnings. I'll be very careful with the unit. I don't plan to reinstall it on an aircraft after its repaired. Its just a well built unit that I'd rather repair than throw away and learn something in the process. Once again, I appreciate all the info.
What a wealth of knowledge there is here.
Thanks.

Perry Don

Joined Jul 2, 2021
Thanks for all the warnings. I'll be very careful with the unit. I don't plan to reinstall it on an aircraft after its repaired. Its just a well built unit that I'd rather repair than throw away and learn something in the process. Once again, I appreciate all the info.
What a wealth of knowledge there is here.
Thanks.
I have been working on a Whelen strobe that was doing the same thing thatn you discribed. What I finally found was a zener diode in the anode circuit of the SCR. It checked as good, but undoubtedly its zener voltage was faulty. It worked fine with a replacement.