wheelchair motor - belt

jasont21

Joined Jun 8, 2011
Just looking for a bit of advice really,

Im planning on creating a belt system .. prob the easiest way to describe it, using a wheelchair motor to power it.

To put it simply... this crappy paint drawing is the basic idea... yet to do a detailed plan, but that should give you an idea of what i am to achieve. (forget about housing for now, or how both wheels will turn - thats not going to be a big issue really... plus the belt isn't going to have mass load on it or the motor)

As i want some form of speed control, i plan on using a PWM control to sort this problem out as it should give me a 0-100% control over speed.
Of course then there will be power, which i have yet to address, but one thing i wanted to put into the control, is some sort of break switch to cut power to the motor straight away incase of a problem. Safety first in all that...

Is there any way of implementing such a thing in the same unit as the PWM, or would a separate control be needed for that? ideally i want it in one thing.

any suggestions?

Also, if im missing anything.. please feel free to add, pretty new to using wheelchair motors in all honesty!

cheers, jason

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you short the leads of a motor with a high power resistor around 1 ohm or so and rated for 50W or more, you can stop a motor pretty quickly. Such resistors will cost around $10 each, and remember to use a proper mechanism to connect the motor, like a high power automotive relay (one used for a starting circuit, if any, would be ideal.) A normal switch will melt!

(Oh and make sure the motor is free-wheeling and is not powered when you do try and brake it!)

Last edited: