What's wrong with this schematic?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
For one thing, it's small.
For another thing, it's fuzzy.

Please re-post it about twice that large, and use .png format instead of .jpg format.

.png format is not "lossy" like .jpg is.
If your software cannot export a .png format file, then use Ctrl+PrintScreen to copy an image of the screen to a buffer.
Then paste it into MS Paint, crop to suit, and save as a .png format file.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
To make the LED blink rectify the output of the mic with a precision rectifier/amplifier and use a comparator to compare the output of the rectifier with a threshold level and light the LED when the output of the rectifier is greater than of the threshold. If you want to blink the LED when a particular frequency exceeds a level you can use a filter before the rectifier as to allow only this frequency to pass.

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Sgt. I asked myself that same question about D2 AND R5. Pulled this off the internet. Here is the full schematic that is much more complicated, I just wanted a single LED. R5(I believe should be 220 as R4) and no need for the diode). He/She must have had a reason.

Attachments

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
D2 is just there to clip the negative part of the AC voltage appearing across the base of Q3 at 0.7V and protect the Q3 from being destroyed.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Q3 will not be destroyed when its base goes negative to about -5V because its max allowed negative base voltage is higher.

I think the diode discharges the coupling capacitor for each half-cycle so that it doesn't charge up and stop the circuit from working.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It doesn't work because the PNP transistor is connected backwards and its driving transistor is not biased properly. The circuit is a mess.

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Changing out one resistor would make the difference? As I said, the DRAWING ERROR is not represented in the physical layout. We'll see how this works.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Changing out one resistor would make the difference?
Of course the second transistor will be turned on too much when its base resistor value is 10 times too low. Then the third transistor will conduct most of the time and the LED will be lighted most of the time.

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Thank You Audioguru. Very Much. I am not getting any signal/light at all. Should I focus my attention to Q1 area?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If you have an oscilloscope, apply a 1kHz sinusoidal signal on the input and post the graphs of the input voltage and the voltage of each transistor collector with respect to ground.

Did you use the same transistors as the design?

Check your power supply connection.