What's wrong with this picture?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This kind of stuff cracks me up. I had a marketing role for a while and took it upon myself to be responsible for anything and everything that a customer might lay eyes on - website, documentation, labels and so on. It's a mess if someone doesn't assume that role.

This was b-2-b and not a big company, but it was still a huge challenge to prevent errors from appearing in the field. Too many employees never thought that they needed to get approval for their contacts with the customer, or just didn't think it mattered. I bet there's some guy at Stanley that would choke if he saw this.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Remember, the people who write those ads were comparative literature majors or even diversity majors. The errors have nothing to do with whether an anthropomorphic measurement system or some completely arbitrary system of measurement is used.

Look at the rivets. A grip range of 1/8" should look much different than one with a 3/8" grip range. Then to make your self totally happy, pay the cashier with a combination of cash and change. Like if it costs $3.17, give the person with $5.25 and see what happens.

As a person of the older generation, I get great joy in the puzzled responses I get.

John

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Bertus nailed it. They will be Asian made and they understand mm, just in the artwork someone put 1/8 instead of 3/8.

Perfectly understandable for someone who has never used x/8ths and doesn't really know what it means.

Just another example why we should stop using stupid imperial entanglements :)
Absolutely! Imperial = VERY BAD. Didn't anyone see Star Wars? :eek:

End imperial oppression now. Switch to metric. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It probably had nothing to do with measurements or knowledge of the sizes. The graphic artist was probably just copying and pasting the various metric and standard measurements to keep fonts of each measurement type consistent. He simply forgot to change the 1/8 to 3/8 after it was pasted into position.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It probably had nothing to do with measurements or knowledge of the sizes. The graphic artist was probably just copying and pasting the various metric and standard measurements to keep fonts of each measurement type consistent. He simply forgot to change the 1/8 to 3/8 after it was pasted into position.
See, I knew it was related to font size. :D

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Then to make your self totally happy, pay the cashier with a combination of cash and change. Like if it costs $3.17, give the person with $5.25 and see what happens.

As a person of the older generation, I get great joy in the puzzled responses I get.

John
Agreed, on the payment venue... some of the teenagers on the register cannot count change even when the amount due is right under their nose on the display...
Some would say we are doomed...:D

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Bertus nailed it. They will be Asian made and they understand mm, just in the artwork someone put 1/8 instead of 3/8.

Perfectly understandable for someone who has never used x/8ths and doesn't really know what it means.

Absolutely! Imperial = VERY BAD. Didn't anyone see Star Wars? :eek:

End imperial oppression now. Switch to metric. ;)
Did that war started because of metric against imperial? I ask because I never watched a single episode. (True).

To start another war, I will ask: BTW who won? :p :p

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Try paying a 6.98 bill with exact change - 2 quarters, 3 pennies, 3 dimes, and 3 nickels. Then add in a $20 and an $1. And wait for the expression.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Then to make your self totally happy, pay the cashier with a combination of cash and change. Like if it costs $3.17, give the person with $5.25 and see what happens.

John
Cruel practice...and risky: irate customes in the line could try to beat you with the cashier just watching what is happening...:p :D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I do that as a standard practice, no not beating people but giving the cashier a note and coins so I don't get stuck with a pocket full of coins.

I also know how much it costs, and how much the change will be. Especially in bars where crooked barmaids make part of their wage ripping customers off change.