What’s turned the earth into a big heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
hi folks,

As you know ,upon the law of conservation of energy ,the amount of energy dosen’t change besides the form of energy that continually changes.
So,as the rising warnings for global warming ,I wondered how horribly evey new house,new car ,new electric device or in general, a new human is generating excessive heat in nature and how it converts the other forms of energy to thermal one.

As for a simple electric device ,think about the process that turns harmless potential energies in nature like what is absorbed in water behind a dam or floods in a river into electricity and then to huge amounts of heat.and farther for a bigger constructions like a house or a car.

So, how can this transformation be even reversible ...or what has new science done to design a new mechanism, for example, to faster dissipate that huge amount of thermal energy from the earth to free sapce ( just like a big heat sink , antenna or whatever)?

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So,as the rising warnings for global warming
It's not the heat from the energy we use that's a problem, since that's a drop in the bucket compared to the heat we get from the sun, it's the trapping of suns heat by the rising levels of green-house gasses such as carbon dioxide.
Carbon dioxide block the radiation into space of the long wavelength IR (around 15µm wavelength) generated by earth at ambient temperature which normally cools the earth.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
It's not the heat from the energy we use that's a problem, since that's a drop in the bucket compared to the heat we get from the sun, it's the trapping of suns heat by the rising levels of green-house gasses such as carbon dioxide.
Carbon dioxide block the radiation into space of the long wavelength IR (around 15µm wavelength) generated by earth at ambient temperature which normally cools the earth.
that's true.you meant chemically disturbance by human is the main reason as flower house gases level increment.
but I think any mechanically,electrically and other disturbance would play the same role.since we've manipulated the nature chemically,mechanically and electrically,we can't expect natural cooling mechanism work well.
and two ways come to the mind:
1- removing the source of natural disturbance 2- designing an artificial system for compensation
Just like when you overclock a CPU and expect a higher efficiency cooling system.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
It’s always puzzled me how CO2 manages to block the IR from escaping when there are only 2 square yards of CO2 for every acre of sky; and why the same CO2 doesn’t block the IR from the sun from reaching the earth.
(No, I’m not a climate change denier, just puzzled about the mechanism by which it is happening)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It’s always puzzled me how CO2 manages to block the IR from escaping when there are only 2 square yards of CO2 for every acre of sky; and why the same CO2 doesn’t block the IR from the sun from reaching the earth.
The heat from the sun is short wavelength IR because the sun is very hot. The IR radiation back towards space is longer wavelength because the Earth is relatively cool. It is these longer wavelengths that are absorbed by green house gases.
Incidentally many gases act as greenhouse gases including water vapour.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
thanks for the replys,
the reasons ,origins and deteriorating condition of this issue is well known somehow,
The bigger question is that what've been compensation ideas or solutions so far?!
we everyday hear about spending huge money for invention of new warfares or space rockets,
but insignificant ones about a serious decision or investments for this matter.
maybe the boldest one has been the contents about electric cars,but does it suffice?
what is the usage of new warfares or space rockets when the earth is vaporizing itself?!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Best solution is to stop believing the "Climate-Change" Propaganda.
( It used to be "Global-Warming" but damn it,
back in the '70's it was cooling down,
and people started pointing that out,
so "We" had to change the name )

Has it ever occurred to You that You don't know who "We" is ??????

The temperature of the Earth is automatically regulated.
It changes in extremely long cycles,
and has been doing this routinely WAY before Man ever showed up.

The problem is, how can "We" instill FEAR into People so that "We" can justify
raising TAXES and Licence-Fees.

Anything that's Green takes in CO2 and releases Oxygen.
If CO2 levels go up, more green stuff grows.
If CO2 levels go down, less green stuff grows.

My Dad built and maintained Data-Logging Equipment for
the Department of Agriculture for a little over ~10-years back in the '80's,
he was in neck-deep in the "Climate-Change" research BS.
And that's just what it is, Political-Power-Grab BS.

I'm sure everyone here knows what a Feedback-Circuit is,
well, the Earth is made up of thousands or
maybe even millions of various Feedback-Circuits.
Man can only disrupt them temporarily, and only in a very localized area.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I'm sure everyone here knows what a Feedback-Circuit is,
well, the Earth is made up of thousands or
maybe even millions of various Feedback-Circuits.
Man can only disrupt them temporarily, and only in a very localized area.
The Gaia hypothesis.
Maybe the feedback mechanism that returns the earth to its natural state involves the extinction of the species that it causing it to get warmer?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The Earth's heatsink and feedback mechanism is the oceans.
The oceans hold 97% of the Earth's water and covers over 70% of the surface of the planet.
The oceans regulate the planet's temperature and CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
CO2 concentration has risen to currently 412ppm from a level below 280ppm before the industrial revolution.
This is concrete evidence that the feedback mechanism is broken.

1630069772441.png

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I wonder how they measured CO2 in Parts-Per-Million, a Million Years ago.
And where are the Oxygen-Charts ?
Or did somebody decide that the Oxygen levels don't matter ?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I wonder how they measured CO2 in Parts-Per-Million, a Million Years ago.
And where are the Oxygen-Charts ?
Or did somebody decide that the Oxygen levels don't matter ?
The problem is, how can "We" instill FEAR into People so that "We" can justify
raising TAXES and Licence-Fees.

If you focussed more on checking the available evidence and set aside this obsession with being controlled by 'them', perhaps you could come up with a more enlightened view of climate change. We need engineers and scientists to can come up with ways to mitigate this change, not stop it happening.

Throwing your hands in the air shouting, 'foul', 'foul' its 'them', is not going to help anyone.

No credible scientist is saying we caused this change in climate, as you say it is a natural event, BUT our contribution is increasing the rate of change, which cannot give the flora and fauna time to adapt too.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/publication/ice-cores-and-climate-change/

Status
Not open for further replies.