What's the most complex project you've ever seen?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You'd laugh at most of my circuits though, I tend to use discrete logic ICs in combination to do what a simple microcontroller could do if I ever bothered to learn them.
I normally laugh at those who advocate using microcontrollers for projects that require only a coule logic IC's. Some people seem to be afraid to try electronics.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What if 74xx are going to be discontinued? Simply because the people who want to use them are becoming less and less.

I saw for instance BMOW- a CPU computer made from TTL.

I saw some relay computers.

Sometimes I think of Jay Miner. Salespeople from the Semiconductors industry actually refused to have business with him.

So he used programable logic arrays, large boards of them, to construct his custom chips.

Then he was ripped off his design went for 500,000 dollar.

The original Amiga was a fairly sophisticated array of programable logic chips, and wires.

Don't get carried away by technology like that.

I'd say technology is nothing- personality is important. As long as the spirit is alive, that technology will continue to be around.

We don't know but maybe ghosts make nests inside old relays.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A wire wrapped project known as "big-mess of wires" (BMOW).
A full computer from logic chips and old-school AY sound chips. The builder made a website for it.

Link is here. http://www.bigmessowires.com/2009/02/02/wire-wrap-photos/
There are some YouTube videos out there too.

I only saw the project, I had nothing to do with building it. Very nicely done but it still looks like a bias mess of wires.

Edit: I guess I should have typed faster, TAKAO21203 beat me to the BmOW!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think 74xx will be here for years to come, companies like TI are still making new families of the basic logic, for example with 1.6V vcc, single logic gates in one package, voltage level translators, etc. Even though each family has 20-30 types, they almost all come from their original 74xx counterparts in terms of logic functionality and type-name.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Looks like the kind of thing we used to be back in the 80's. We used to go get drunk at lunch and come back to do wirewrap. We did so much that altering our minds didn't cause failure to get it right.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Home made CPU used logic IC, the schematics included, somebody may call him is going crazy, but I think that he is enjoyed it.
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Below is what i wired, 40x14 LED drivers, it's over 25 years ago, another is Z80 system is used TTL IC, and 4 PCB boards, but i don't have the pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I was intrigued by this. I have no idea about anything to do with welding or plasma cutting. I, like you, got started in electronics about 6-7 months ago.

Is something like this already on the market?

Used to do quite a bit of Plasma cutting, stainless steel; back in the day. No better way to cut SS quickly. A shear can be used for straight cuts, but for curves, Plasma can't be beat.
Then, TIG it all together.

If you ever get the chance, try it.;)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
That discrete transistor clock was one of the most complex hobbyist projects I have seen.

Just the organization skill required blew my mind.

http://transistorclock.com/index.html
That's a cool project for sure! :)

But I think it could have been done with a lot less transistors. He seems to have used mainly binary flip flops where I would have used ring counters. The ring counters could count in factors of 10 or 6 directly, to drive each display digit. And ring counters only need 1 transistor per count.

Also deriving the 1 second event from the mains freq could have been done using a synchronised monostable, saving parts there.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I know this is a different category, but I remember 800 line PBXs that were designed with DTL logic, and 10,000 line central office sytems that used crossbar switches.