whats the difference between single and 3 phase bldc controllers

daveyjones97

Joined Oct 21, 2011
hi, thanks for looking. im a newbie with an interest in electric vehicles and understand the basics of how bldc works but im curious whats the difference between single and 3 phase bldc controllers? do the 3 phase versions have 3 lots of components and if so which ones, is it just an extra 2 power fets or are the 3 phase ones different from the microprocessor onwards? any help will be greatly appreciated as im a lone hobbyist with no access to any proffesional help and the net has failed me on this. thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
All BLDC motors are three phase. There is no single phase BLDC motor that I'm aware of. A BLDC motor control does not need a microprocessor. There are a bunch of different controller ICs out there to drive the motor,the logic to do it is built into them. A BLDC driver/controller needs six mosfets or IGBTs to create the commutation of the motor.

daveyjones97

Joined Oct 21, 2011
by single phase what i meant was pwm speed controllers for brushed motors.
can anyone reccomend a book or website about how motor controllers are designed and work? i have so many holes in my knowledge it looks like a piece of cheese and im keen to start tinkering. when my understanding allows i want to build an electric bike, but id prefer 750w to 1000w which is why i havent just paid through the nose for one.
bloody ameteurs!
thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Last edited: