What's the best free 4G internet serivce?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've looked into NetZero and Connnect. Both about 200-250MB/months free. Neither have service in my home town. Doesn anyone know of other free 4G services?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
4G!

Be careful not to be led into believing such a thing actually exists. The promises of 3G have not yet been delivered, let alone 4G. The over-active marketing departments have made a mockery of the term.

Having said all that, I have no idea who offers such thing, even if there was a definition of it that made any sense.

:confused:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Well, I finally took the 4G plunge. It's fantastic! I'm typing this from the Atlanta airport using my Verison 4G Mobil Hot Spot (MiFi)

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Please elaborate, as I have a 4G phone that is a heck of a lot faster when it indicates a 4G signal vs. a 3G signal.
if your 4G speed isnt at least 100Mb/sec, then it's technically not 4G. If it's faster then 3Mb/sec then it's realistically 4G according to what the phone companies want you to think.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
if your 4G speed isnt at least 100Mb/sec, then it's technically not 4G. If it's faster then 3Mb/sec then it's realistically 4G according to what the phone companies want you to think.
From Wikipedia:

Since the first-release versions of Mobile WiMAX and LTE support much less than 1 Gbit/s peak bit rate, they are not fully IMT-Advanced compliant, but are often branded 4G by service providers. On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed"
So, according the the governing organization, even a system not fully compliant can be considered 4G. Just saying.

Besides, the standard specifies up to 100mbps for mobile applications. As many of us are aware, wireless devices have lots of issues to deal with in order to perform to their top specifications.

Ultimately, 3G was useless for me (and still pretty much is when I am not in a 4G area). 4G has made mobile internet bearable, at least for me.

Things are changing quickly. Give it 3 to 5 years, and we'll all be complaining that our service providers aren't yet providing 1 Gbps.

EDIT: Consider how you would feel if a core function of your business was to continually tear down existing infrastructure and completely replace it with the new tech, knowing that in a short time you'll have to do it all over again.