What's taught to kids in school these days? Could be from a Twilight Zone episode!!

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
This was in summer of 08 or 09 so camera's weren't standard on all phones and I had a really small, slim phone so no camera at the time. I work in IT so I always had "newer" stuff but when it comes to carrying 2-3 phones 24/7 for personal and work, I had to go with small.

The moment I got home I remember searching for hours looking for portrats of the pres's as black and all other kinds of iterations and possibilities. After a few days and telling the story over and over, seeing the responses, I finally gave up and started looking at other issues in education to see if there may be some kind of cause, like it being based on demographics.

My only conclusion was that since the class was all black except for the one white kid, maybe they showed those pictures so it didn't hurt the students "feelings" or whatever you want to call it. Remembering slavery, or that they couldn't relate to those OGC's (Original Grand Crackers)... :) Mabye it had to do with only white kid in the class pictures - so he didn't feel "superior" or something. Believe me, I talked to a lot of people and even called the school but being June, I never heard from anyone. I'm sure my google searches (guessing they are archieved back to that point...) can even prove this. We had discussions at the dinner table about this. I'm sure the other postings I made back then will have record of the posts as well. I'll see if I can remember where it was.

I finally came up with the conclusion that if the pictures weren't publicly available then it's very likely that they were either made "in house" (printed) from an image that was already altered, or it was done there - I could't see any other way for them to be there.

It made me question what I had learned growing up as I had almost the opposite classroom setting, race wise. Were the presidents "white" because my class was majority white when I was a kid?

Like I said, it really messed me up in some ways as it seemed like it could have been straight from "the Twilight Zone".

Oh, and to the people who wanted to change subjects and say that this is made up, possibly written by Breitbart or whatever, I can assure you it most certainly was/is not. I have much better ways to spend my time than making up some strange story but the issue kept bugging me and I thought s a good bit maybe someone would have heard about this or witnessed it as well.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Not Mexico... at least not in the legal sense ... but of course there was the customary abuse of the indigenous population, but that's a different story.
The United States has consistently abrogated each and every treaty they ever made with the indigenous peoples. Is it any wonder that people doubt our commitment to our words and promises. That and the irrational hyperbole that seems to be the order of the day. Why would anybody make promises they knew they could not keep? Should Mr. Trump win in November, there are people who will exact a terrible retribution if he is unable to fulfill his promises. I would not want to be in his shoes.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Here you go. Modern education at its best. :mad:

I'd call it a parody but damn it hits a bit too close to personal experiences for comfort. Dang creepy close. :(

BTW I too totally believe the Presidential Portraits being presented to students in blackface to be true.

I have family that have worked in the public school system all their lives and I regularly get first hand accounts of the biasing/outrightly misrepresentational crap that gets sent out and expected to be implemented at times. :(

FWIW the inside word is the new math and general common core teaching concepts are on their way out. It's proved to be a dismal failure in every school system that accepted to try and teach it. :cool:

Last edited:

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Here you go. Modern education at its best. :mad:

I'd call it a parody but damn it hits a bit too close to personal experiences for comfort. Dang creepy close. :(

That is a great vid, I've seen it before. The same director has a number of others that are well worth the time to watch unless you are already depressed and have worked hard for your education and/or career.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That is a great vid, I've seen it before. The same director has a number of others that are well worth the time to watch unless you are already depressed and have worked hard for your education and/or career.
It's not just that it hits close to my educational experiences but it's also creepily close to the same nonsense that I have seen and have been personally subjected to in the working working world way too many times. :(

Last edited:

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Like I said, it really messed me up in some ways
if so, how would you know that you were not messed up to begin with? It is hard to imagine a typical adult getting so easily messed up by some pictures.

Again, the story sounds far fetched, unless you can prove otherwise.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I've seen it before.
That's a very accurate depiction of what we see in western societies: freedom of expression is being used to suppress other people's freedom of expression.

In that, I think Chicago did the right thing in rejecting "safe space", etc.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The United States has consistently abrogated each and every treaty they ever made with the indigenous peoples. Is it any wonder that people doubt our commitment to our words and promises. That and the irrational hyperbole that seems to be the order of the day. Why would anybody make promises they knew they could not keep? Should Mr. Trump win in November, there are people who will exact a terrible retribution if he is unable to fulfill his promises. I would not want to be in his shoes.
That man fits my perfect definition of a demagogue ... (and megalomaniac, narcissist, misogynist, etc ... ) but I'd rather not incur in that subject here ... thanks for you thoughtful remarks

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
freedom of expression is being used to suppress other people's freedom of expression.
That's one of democracy's biggest weaknesses ... it's own accomplishments used as weapons against itself ... That is, alas, a vicious cycle from which I don't think there will ever be a way out.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
if so, how would you know that you were not messed up to begin with? It is hard to imagine a typical adult getting so easily messed up by some pictures.
Perhaps I and a few others here should give you a few website references that would change your way you look at the world. ;)

(There's no unseeing what you saw.):eek::oops:

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014

Again, the story sounds far fetched, unless you can prove otherwise.
Well I wasn't sitting in a corner rocking back and forth or anything. I really have no need to explain myself to somone who is obviously trolling this thread b/c they probably have some supportive agenda that would do that which I originally described.

Why do I have to "prove" it. Are you calling me a liar? Why do you think I am lying and why have you been antagonistic/attacking me since the beginning of the thread?

I can guarantee that if somone in and from France saw a picture in a classroom of Napoleon and he was depicted as a black man, in an all black school (maybe an Algerian school), I bet they would be like WTF??? as well.

Please don't post further in this thread b/c you have no cause to call me a liar and I do not NEED proof to state what happened to me nor what I saw. If I speak to a judge about it, I'll bring proof then. My goal was to get opinions of other intelligent people, but as always, there's "one" in every group.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That man fits my perfect definition of a demagogue ... (and megalomaniac, narcissist, misogynist, etc ... ) but I'd rather not incur in that subject here ... thanks for you thoughtful remarks
The worst part is he's the far better of the two primary choices. :(

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Why do I have to "prove" it.
because you accused others of doing bad things, an accusation you cannot back up with verifiable evidence. What would you think if I told the world that I saw you committing heinous crimes but cannot back it up with facts?

Please don't post further in this thread ...
Really? Is this one of those micro aggression thing? or you think you have some super power? :)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If it makes you feel any better ... I don't like either of them too :confused::(

Edit: Oh, you said, primary ... you meant him and Rubio?
I'm a conservative Republican. Trump was last on my list of R's that I would consider voting for. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say he was growing on me.

Anything is better than the other one. And it'll be nice to have someone in the White House who makes me laugh.