what would happen if I remove the backup battery of the calculator?

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

Please help me with it. It's pretty important for me to know. The calculator I own, TI 92 Plus, isn't working anymore. Now I want to buy a new calculator Voyage 200 which is an upgrade to TI 92 Plus. Someone was planning to send it to me from Canada. That someone today told me that he contacted both UPS and Canada Post and they told him that they can't send anything which contains lithium batteries. The Voyage 200 uses four main AA batteries (the same as TI 92 Plus) and they can be taken out without causing any problem. But it also uses one backup battery and I believe it's lithium one because my old calculator also used one which was CR2032 and my old calculator also had this written warning: Do not take this battery out unless main batteries are installed and working. What would happen if this backup lithium battery is taken out? This way that someone would be able to send the calculator. What do you say? Please help me with it. Thanks.

Regards
PG

PS: I also have a data cable which can be used to install operating system of the calculator from the PC. Both TI 92 Plus and Voyage 200 use the same cable.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's likely that if you remove both the main battery and the backup battery it will lose any stored memory values and programs. It will end up blank, the same as a brand new calculator.

The HP calculator I had used a capacitor for backup. If you took more than about a minute to change the batteries you would lose all the stored information.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you, Carl.

Then, that means it shouldn't be a problem. Because I'm going to use a brand new calculator anyway, right? Do you have any suggestion? Please let me know. Thanks.

Regards
PG

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
i would just ship it with the tiny lithium battery inside. are they going to x-ray it, see the battery, and confiscate it? Even if they saw the battery, would they know its lithium? Do they have lithium sniffing dogs?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Could you already have a solution to your dilemma?

"warning: Do not take this battery out unless main batteries are installed and working."

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Put some alkaline AA batteries in; remove the lithium internal memory battery, ship it.

Problem solved.

When you receive it, buy a new internal battery and install it right away.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you very much, everyone, for the replies.

Put some alkaline AA batteries in; remove the lithium internal memory battery, ship it.

Problem solved.

When you receive it, buy a new internal battery and install it right away.
Hi Sgt.

What if someone, for instance some guy from courier staff, takes those alkaline batteries out too? What would happen? It wouldn't hurt them to take them out. Please let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I don't know for certain, I'm not familiar with those calculators.

If it tells you to not remove both batteries at once, you should follow those instructions. If you don't, the consequence may be as little as losing any stored programs/data, or as harsh as turning the calculator into a brick.

So, if you want a working calculator instead of a brick, follow the instructions.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Some calculators have a "reset" which is some function of the internal program.

If the main on-board processor is powered by the 4 AA's, how does the main program, or OS stay on the unit......on a static ROM ? , or does the lithium "coin" battery provide power to maintain the functional op-system program on the unit ??

Could removing both batteries leave you with a "brainless" calculator ??