What were you doing at the age of 24?

mitko89

Joined Sep 20, 2012
This might lead to a lenghty discussion, but can I ask you the following question:
"Engineering job in US vs EU?"

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...From what I see, if you have had the interest in enigneering from very young age = you have reached some achievements till that age, if you started later = well,...
+1!

IMHO, an intense interest is required to become exceptionally good at something. Such intensity, I believe, is usually developed in childhood. I knew at 5 years old that I wanted to be an engineer. Everything I did from that point was aimed at that goal.

When I got to college (already having worked as an engineer for a few years), I was amazed at how many of my peers still had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives. I think there was a statistic that the average freshman would change his major 5 times prior to graduation!

Most of them finally wound up as communication majors, whatever that is...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This might lead to a lenghty discussion, but can I ask you the following question:
"Engineering job in US vs EU?"
If you are competent, you could probably do well in Germany or Switzerland. These two countries, IMHO, seem to still honor exceptional technical talent.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When I got to college (already having worked as an engineer for a few years), I was amazed at how many of my peers still had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives. I think there was a statistic that the average freshman would change his major 5 times prior to graduation
Before I went to college, I was already intensely interested in programming (this was in the early 70s, before PCs). There were precious few computer science programs, so I studied Mathematics. I wasn't serious about computers, and figured math could lead to teaching, oceanography or computers. However, I did end up in computers. So follow your passion and recognize it as soon as possible.

mitko89

Joined Sep 20, 2012
When I got to college (already having worked as an engineer for a few years), I was amazed at how many of my peers still had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives.
Well that's me... I didn't change major or such, but I had many interests and didn't concentrate my energy in one thing, which is more or less a mistake... but that's how things go. On the other hand I became pretty adaptable person. Hope that with some hard work I may end up as a good engineer.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
At 24 (1975) I had been working as a construction electrician and things were slow in my area (Western Massachusetts) So I was lucky enough to be able to fall back on my hobby, drag racing. I landed a job at a speed shop as a mechanic. That carried my young family through the next 2 years until construction opened back up.