What type of solenoid do I have?

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
a practical purpose could be to attach it to a pulsed driver, duct tape a needle to the end of the valve spool, and use it for a tattoo gun.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'm reading about brushless motors

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/5.html

and I was wondering what type of motor operation my solenoid is considered? Here is a picture of it, it appears to have a spring that seats it back to its resting position. It is 2 wire DC voltage and it takes square wave input from 0 to 10v.
Looks like some sort of solenoid operated valve and you could indeed considr solenoid as a variation of a linear motor.

Most solenoids are simply an electromagnet which pulls a rod into the coil when voltage is applied and the spring (either part of the solenoid or part of the mechanical device the solenoid is operating) returns it to the out position when the voltage is removed.

There are also push-pull type solenoids in which the driven element is magnetized, these can be made to draw the rod in or push it out depending on the polarity of the actuating voltage. Pretty much the same as the way a loudspeaker works.

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Hi, thanks!

The signal going to it is square wave, so I'm guessing it pulses the hydraulic fluid with a square wave?

Looks like some sort of solenoid operated valve and you could indeed considr solenoid as a variation of a linear motor.

Most solenoids are simply an electromagnet which pulls a rod into the coil when voltage is applied and the spring (either part of the solenoid or part of the mechanical device the solenoid is operating) returns it to the out position when the voltage is removed.

There are also push-pull type solenoids in which the driven element is magnetized, these can be made to draw the rod in or push it out depending on the polarity of the actuating voltage. Pretty much the same as the way a loudspeaker works.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
It could be using PWM to provide a variable or bi-directional hydraulic flow. As an example for bi-directional usage, 50% duty cycle could center the solenoid, 75% provide more flow in one direction, and 25% more flow in the other direction.