What Type of Oscillator is

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Hi all,

I hear this rising noise on a televison program, & wondered if it can built ? if some of you guys could analyse its waveform on a Scope.. please because I dont have one..

Could anyone help please..

to hear it you have to have your speaker volume quite high.. its NOT loud... so hope one can assist me please.

many thanks
redlight000

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What noise is that?

The easiest way (if you have a sample) is to record it on a specialized chip and play it back with the chip.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
Are you referring to the sound that appears to rise in frequency endlessly?

For anyone who has not heard it, it's something like an organ chord.
It slowly rises over an octave, but as it does the high note of the chord fades out and a new low note fades in, giving the effect of it being endless as it repeats through.
(eg. After each octave rise, it's back to exactly how it started).

Edit: Found the proper info on this effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tone

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Hi Audioguru,

cheers for the reply, you said its sounds like a pink floyd tone, but from which song you said Dark side of the Moon, but dont know which album..

thanks alot

redlight000
:eek:

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Hi Audioguru,

hey remember that shepard Tone, and you said you played it on you Pc, with Java, can you direct me please on how to listen to it, and the Links please..
thanks
redlight000
:D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Hi Audioguru,

hey remember that shepard Tone, and you said you played it on you Pc, with Java, can you direct me please on how to listen to it, and the Links please..
thanks
redlight000
:D
The wikipedia link is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tone .
The Glissando play window is at the top right side of the fisrt page. Click on "the play tone" arrow and it should play if your pc has the correct software. Its frequencies sound like they are descending. I couldn't find a Shepard Tone that sounds like the frequencies are ascending.