What type of motor?...

Nasim2002

Joined Oct 21, 2012
What type of motor can I use for my model plane made of thermocol,and it will be of how price and why?:confused: I need experts help. Please help me!

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
small DC motor should do the trick. if you need more power (ie. doing acrobatics etc) you can look into brushless DC motors for helicopters. those things are beasts.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A styrofoam wing that is only 18cm long is tiny.

I have an RC Parkzone J3 Cub with a total wingspan of 45cm (22.5cm for each wing) and it uses a tiny brushed motor with gears to drive the 10cm long propeller. The brushed motor was also used to open and close a CD tray. The motor wears out its brushes in a few hours of running. I replaced the motor 6 times.
The airplane with its 3.7V 120mAh Li-Po battery and radio control receiver and servos weighs less than 28 grams. It flys for about 10min or 15 min when there is NO WIND.

I have two RC E-Flite model airplanes with wingspans of 44cm and 60cm that use very powerful brushless motors that last forever. They are powered from a 200mAh 7.4V Li-Po battery. Wind does not bother them. They weigh about 70 grams and 90 grams.
I will fly them again now.

Last edited:

Nasim2002

Joined Oct 21, 2012
To Panic mode and Adioguru,
I asked in my first letter that That it will be of how price. Can you answer this??

After all panic mode, I don't want to use acrobats in my plane.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
My first RC airplane is the Parkzone J-3 Cub. Its tiny replacement brushed motor measures 5mm diameter and is 15mm long. It comes with a brass gear and its wires have a plug.
It costs $9.99US (535 Indian Rupees).

The motor holder (with larger gear and propeller shaft) is also available for a low price.
The tiny 2.4GHz receiver has the motor speed controller, elevator servo and rudder servo on it.

Attachments

Nasim2002

Joined Oct 21, 2012
What will be the weight of the motor?( I am asking this because I know that weight matters in all of it.)

Can you say?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
What will be the weight of the motor?
My weighing scale has a minimum reading of 1 gram so the motor weighs something between 0.5 grams to 1.5 grams. The nylon motor holder with propeller shaft and larger gear weighs almost nothing. The 10cm propeller also weighs almost nothing.

The entire J-3 Cub RC airplane with battery weighs 29 grams (one ounce).
The 125mAh Li-Po battery weighs 3.4 grams. A 160mAh Li-Po battery weighs 4.1 grams.

The airplane has enough power to climb until it can barely be seen as a spec in the sky. When it catches rising hot air (a thermal) then it must dive to come down. It can do an inside loop. It can fly slow enough for me to run slowly beside it. It takes off from a picnic table or a parking lot.

The airplane is not made anymore but parts are still available for repairing it.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Can you say where do I Put my battery?
The battery on my small RC airplanes is held in the battery space with Velcro (hook and loop). The battery plugs into a jack on a cable of the airplane so it can be unpluged and plugged into the charger.

Last edited: