What tool to tighten?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What kind of tool fits these knurled nuts used on switches?

My fingers just don't get them tight. I've resorted to putting the knurled backside and the hex nut on front. At least I can get a wrench on the hex.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Slip-joint pliers with serrated teeth that match the knurl pitch.

Use caution, don't mangle the nut or scratch the faceplate!

A lockwasher on the rear side, along with a drop of removable Locktite on the threads helps prevent it from coming loose long term, then you don't need to use as much force on the nut.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Surgical hemostats (surgical clamps) are perfect for those nuts. Nice fine serrated jaws. Electronic and industrial supply vendors carry them.

Ken

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
"girlie" fingers just don't cut it. :)

Lets see... whats the name of the tool for a fastener designed to be "tool-less" ??

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I always thought that one should put the hex nut on first, insert the shaft through the panel, put the serrated nut on to the depth required by the panel thickness, and then tighten the hex nut against the rear of the panel. (Avoids scarring the front of the panel.)

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I'd agree with tracecom, set the depth correctly with the knurled nut and then tighten at the back with the hex nut, can be awkward though, a right angle spanner can be handy

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
+ 1 Tracecom, that's the procedure I was taught a hundred years ago....

Edit: A right angle spanner can be a crows foot wrench..

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I use large pliers with curved concave areas on the jaws that are serrated.

Good grip, good matching radius, no damage to the round nut.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just used these. Work fine but I used a big pair so they are not opened to their extreme when pinching the bolts. The serrations curve at the tip to align with those of the knurled nut.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Since there is a tool for tightening those nuts, there should be a standard for defining the number of knurls? per inch/cm. I googled around looking for such, but didn't find it. I did find the attached document and was amused by the switch picture on page 5.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Since there is a tool for tightening those nuts, there should be a standard for defining the number of knurls? per inch/cm. I googled around looking for such, but didn't find it. I did find the attached document and was amused by the switch picture on page 5.
Quite an old model.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
If you don't have any if these specialized tools, I use a pair of narrow needlenose pliers.

I'll put a small piece of masking tape on a piece of glass. Then, trace the knurled nut on the tape. With a razor knife, cut out the inside of the circle.

After inserting the switch and lightly screwing on the nut, I place the masking tape over the nut. Then, using the needlenose pliers doesn't scratch the face plate. Repeat as necessary.