What to do if the ground pin of arduino is damaged?

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
I have an Arduino board - the Uno 3 model. The output ground pin next to pin 13 seems to be damaged. The green light of Arduino glows fine. The orange LED also blinks. But when I insert an LED between 13 and ground, it does not glow. So I think the ground pin is damaged. What can I do now? Should I get another Arduino? Can I use any of the other output pins of Arduino as ground?

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Post a picture of the damaged pin.

Not likely.

20170324_132415.jpg

The pin GND is what I think is damaged. The green light and orange LED still glows. But

20170324_132906.jpg
The blue LED does not glow when connected to ground and pin 13. It used to glow earlier. To be led is fine and not damaged.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi D,
Connect a insulated link wire, from the pin next to #13, on the back of the PCB from the Gnd pins on the other side of the PCB, it a common Gnd track.
E

EDIT:
In your last image, you appear to have no series resistor with the Blue LED, you may have blown the AVR output pin.
Unplug the LED and check the state of the Pin.

Attachments

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi D,
This is a clip from the UNO circuit.
If you get a problem with the Gnd pin next to pin#13, you could use the ICSP #pin#6 Gnd as a fix.

Note pin #13 is connected directly to an AVR I/O pin.
E

Attachments

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
hi D,
Connect a insulated link wire, from the pin next to #13, on the back of the PCB from the Gnd pins on the other side of the PCB, it a common Gnd track.
E
20170324_141242.jpg

Right now, I don't have the materials to solder it. So I just connected the ground from one to another and the light glowed! Thanks for the help :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Not working again. Multimeter shows just 0.03 volts at the output of pin 13 and ground
hi D,
Did you add a series resistor to the LED, the MCU I/O pin may be damaged and it fails when hot.
E

EDIT:
For a Blue LED at approx 15mA, a 150R resistor will be OK.

Last edited:

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Feeling curious about 13 pin's built-in LED (marked L LED) on UNO board.

It's permanently fixed with 13th pin. But we use the 13th for many purpose during many projects. Won't it affect to many types of signal output from the 13th pin? Because it has an unnecessary (in the case of many projects) series resistors and a LED always as a load.
Chinese clone of UNO do not have the built-in LED at 13th pin. Just has empty pads for LED and resistor.

Last edited:

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Feeling curious about 13 pin's built-in LED (marked L LED) on UNO board.

It's permanently fixed with 13th pin. But we use the 13th for many purpose during many projects. Won't it affect to many types of signal output from the 13th pin? Because it has an unnecessary (in the case of many projects) series resistors and a LED always as a load.
Chinese clone of UNO do not have the built-in LED at 13th pin. Just has empty pads for LED and resistor.
What other pin can I use? I need to give a PWM signal and blink the LED as per the frequency.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What other pin can I use? I need to give a PWM signal and blink the LED as per the frequency.
Any pin capable of PWM can be used to control an LED like you want..
Per the arduino website for the UNO..
  • PWM: pins 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, and 11. Provide 8-bit PWM output with the analogWrite() function.

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Any pin capable of PWM can be used to control an LED like you want..
Per the arduino website for the UNO..
  • PWM: pins 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, and 11. Provide 8-bit PWM output with the analogWrite() function.
Now I am not even able to upload any programs to the arduino. Some major problem. How can I identify the real problem?