what subject to take

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

After building a few MCU projects, I find that I need to learn some basic algorithms to deal with like filtering, sorting etc... Because there is only so much I can do with ADC values and simply average the values, then put it on a display.

Basic analog is fine, but I find myself interested in digital more and more.

So what subjects do I need to take in-order to know and use these stuck, like what ever subject I need to learn to do those interesting stuff.

Thanks guys.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
It would help if we knew what college you plan to get the education so we can see what courses are offered.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
It would help if we knew what college you plan to get the education so we can see what courses are offered.
This is the polytechnic I am studying at right now(Diploma in Engineering):
http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS/EngineeringTechnology/Facilities/tabid/453/Default.aspx?

Depends on my financial situation, I might have to get a job soon and study at (it's an online course):
www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/

If my finance can support, I can go to:
www.victoria.ac.nz/

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I forgot to ask, are you interested in IC chip design, circuit design or programming (embedded or high level)?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I forgot to ask, are you interested in IC chip design, circuit design or programming (embedded or high level)?
I have never thought of chip design, and I have absolutely now knowledge of it, so I don't know. (But I heard that its hard to get into)

I like circuit design, I like digital circuit design more than analog (I find analog very hard to be honest), I enjoy designing circuit and PCB, assembling it, and program it.

Embedded interests me(in C), and I know I have no interest in writing software for PC( high level?), but I do know the high end applications are usually running RTOS or Linux or WinCE etc

Thanks

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Actually, it would probably be better if you contacted the career advisers at the colleges since they are more familiar with the courses at the institution. Tell them what you would like to study and they should be able to provide you with better information then any of us on the forum.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Actually, it would probably be better if you contacted the career advisers at the colleges since they are more familiar with the courses at the institution. Tell them what you would like to study and they should be able to provide you with better information then any of us on the forum.
I do believe the collected minds here can paint me a better picture, in a practical point of view.

And I have properly ask the question in the wrong way, I just want to know what I need to learn to get a hand on some basic algorithms, eg tutorials, some sort of introduction, etc...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Crutschow beat me to it.

Based on your initial post, the topics you are talking about fall in the realm of digital signal processing.

Generally, before you take a DSP course is it useful to a take a course that focuses on the same topics but in the analog world. These are generally called Signals and Systems courses and there are a few common variants. They are covered pretty well in most Communications courses and you would frequently get an exposure to the basic digital transforms as well. Check the catalog at your school and see if they offer a DSP course and what they have as prerequisites.

The math in both the analog and the digital courses usually rests on the foundation provided by a course in differential equations and a transform methods course.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I agree with DSP. Another interesting course with much overlap with DSP is a class in discreet math. Sometimes it has a title like "Discreet Math For Computer Science"

Both of these topics are heavy on theory. However, there are lots of good practical applications.