What sort of IC sockets are these?

Western

Joined May 7, 2009
Hi, I'm new around here and wondered if someone can help me find out where to obtain some of the IC sockets and 'carriers/cradles' shown on the attached image.

I need some of both sockets and holders, for both 28 and 32 pin eproms.

The IC fits in the cradle and then has the pins bent over to hold it in place and provide a similar effect to a PLCC IC.

In all my searching so far I haven't been able to put a name to them or a supplier.

I am located in South Australia, but obviously am prepared to source them where-ever they might be available.

I will appreciate any help ... thank you.

Regards, Wes.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That appears to be an adaptor for one style of package to another. I've had memory chips that fit in that kind of socket directly on video cards, no cradle needed.

I'm guessing that converts a conventional DIP chip to your socket.

Western

Joined May 7, 2009
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

That appears to be an adaptor for one style of package to another. I've had memory chips that fit in that kind of socket directly on video cards, no cradle needed.
That's fair enough .. and you're right, you could fit an IC in the holder, though on these particular ones the locating action would be really sloppy, and easy to misalign.

These are off a series of pcb's I maintain, and I need to find some replacements.

The 'operating system' is occasionally upgraded, and new eproms provided, and because they are often fitted by untrained people, they need to be as foolproof as possible ... hence these sockets.

We would also have problems with 'interchangeability' if I used something else ... and as some locations might have 50 or 60 of the same board ... I could get mighty unpopular if I altered something like that. :)

If anyone has any idea where I can obtain sets of them, I would be appreciative.

Regards, Wes