What should I study?

Khalid Abur-Rahman

Joined Dec 25, 2008
I plan on getting my MSEE soon. I'm not to sure about how the school is organized, I lan on doing a campus visit, but from online, it looks like when I study for MSEE, I have the option of studying unde the following areas of concentration:

1) Embedded Engineering

2) Chip design and VLSI

3) Communication systems

4)Nanotechnology and NEMS

although in the first one, the do mention that you need to be proficient in certain programming languages....I'm willing to take the extra classes for it. if need be.

I do like them all, they all sound good, but I really don't know anything about nanotechnology, but I researched it a little and it still sounds good. I'll be happy working under anyone of the disciplines. Which one might be the best one for me to go for?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi!

These are ALL very hot fields right now. I wouldn't specialize too early! If you can get ALL of them under your belt, you'll be the "man in demand." :)

Eric

sohcahtoa

Joined Nov 7, 2006
Don't masters programs make you choose a concentration though? I would think studying 4 different, albeit somewhat related, fields might be spreading yourself pretty thin.

I'm just studying for my undergrad right now, but I am having trouble choosing a focus as well for senior electives. I like a lot of things. I feel your pain. That said, good luck in whatever you choose.

Edit: OK, in retrospect I caught the humor. The Internet, for all its better qualities, can make sarcasm fly right over one's head at times.

Last edited: