What replacement diode should I use?

AKnogood

Joined Nov 21, 2013
My father-in-law has an old soldering unit in his garage and he blew 2 diodes on the electronic board. I'm trying to find some replacement parts.

Here you can see a photo I took of the board.

I know the part number for the diode "A" is 1N4004 but I can't find the part number for the bigger diode "B". And there's no other diode of the same size on the board.

Any idea what diode I could use as a replacement for diode "B"? If you need any more info please let me know!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
can you take a photo of the track side, and a full picture of the component side so we can trace the circuit.
It may just be an ordinary silicon diode or a Zener, have you tried to look underneath the diode for markings?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
For diode B it might very well be a zener diode, but no idea which it is. I suspect diode B might also have burned the cap besides it. Have you done some work with Google using the product number/ID for the solder station. I also suggest while you are at it fixing the unit. Replace all the electrolyte caps. As they have probably reached their life span, and dried out.

AKnogood

Joined Nov 21, 2013
For diode B it might very well be a zener diode, but no idea which it is. I suspect diode B might also have burned the cap besides it. Have you done some work with Google using the product number/ID for the solder station. I also suggest while you are at it fixing the unit. Replace all the electrolyte caps. As they have probably reached their life span, and dried out.
Good to know about the electrolytics capacitors, Ill take a look at that. Thanks!