What name would be used to describe this FET configuration?

Robert K S

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Two FETs arranged one above another, specifically with the source of an N-channel FET (above) connected to the drain of a P-channel FET (below). The drain of the N-channel FET is connected to VDD and the source of the P-channel FET is connected, via a current source, to ground. Separate inputs are provided to the gate of each FET. The output is at the node connecting the two FETs. It's neither exactly a cascode nor an inverter, but more like the latter. Is this a common configuration and does it have a name?

Attachments

Robert K S

Joined Dec 11, 2018
When I do a Google search for "totem pole", it only shows arrangements with a single input going to the gates of both FETs. Also, according to this definition, in a totem pole, the P-FET is above the N-FET, which is the reverse of the arrangement I'm looking at.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In a complementary output, both Fets must be source followers. The P-channel Fet in your circuit is not a follower.
Then you have the problem that the gain is a little less than 1 and the maximum output swing is much less than the maximum input swing.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I agree with AlbertHall, but I will restate it a bit: the scheme is nonsense, i.e. is wrong! You can make a simulation on any Spice to verify this.