What MOSFETs should I stock?

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I have a lot of BJTs stocked up, but I realized I have few MOSFETs, and I'd really like to start tinkering with MOSFETS, because I really haven't done much with them.

So for small signal MOSFETs, I think I'll buy 2n7000. Is that good?

I'd also like to buy a few power MOSFETs. Is there any that come to mind? On Mouser, I found the FQP7P06, which came in at $0.52 if I buy 25...not terrible, I don't think. Some of the other power mosfets are upwards of $1.50 each for 25.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
If you are going to be controlling some of these with micro controllers you might look into getting some logic level mosfets, they can be turned on with 5v. When it comes to building up an inventory, what you need depends on what you plan on doing..

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Stock the one you will use, of course! It depends on your applications. I find that when I buy parts for one application, lets say, resistors I often only need 1 but I but a bucks worth. I do the same with other components, making sure I have enough for the project, a spare in case I botch something, then maybe enough to duplicate the project.
You inventory will build up and reflect your interests.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Thanks. Well the reason I ask is because I never really use MOSFETs and I want to start experimenting a little bit. So I'm just looking for any suggestions on what might be some good cheap parts to start with.

Thanks #12. I'll look at those.

And I see what you mean by the 5V fets. Might be helpful. I don't do too much MCU stuff, but hey, there's always a time to start.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I used the IRF3205 a few times because it has low on resistance and, for a 1 A application, didn't need a heat sink (I used it with a 9 V battery for the gate voltage).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The IRLD014PBF and IRLD024PBF are handy little 60v 1.4a & 2.4a (respectively) 1.3 Watt logic level N-ch MOSFETs that are great for using on breadboards, as they come in a 4-pin DIP package. They won't ream out your breadboard's sockets like large TO-220's will. They don't have a lot of current sinking ability, but you can't sink much current using a breadboard anyway or you'll melt it.