what means starting voltage in solenoid valve?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
why i must reverse the current in the coil?
do is not enough 100v and 12v after it for on and 0 volt for off ?
I have worked extensively with hydraulic proportional servo valves, and had to use bi-polar drive to get the needed frequency response.

You never answered the question about PWM frequency?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have worked extensively with hydraulic proportional servo valves, and had to use bi-polar drive to get the needed frequency response.
According to the OP and the pic posted it is pneumatic, and if on/off control as claimed there is a good chance it it not proportional.
Max.

mohammad2050

Joined Nov 14, 2014

You never answered the question about PWM frequency?
I do not want to use PWM frequency, it is not proportional and i was in wrong because my english is not good and i do not understand your mean of proportional!

i want to use 1 and 0 logic for on and off control

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, so if you just want each valve on/off,

what is the shortest time you want the valve open (energized)?

what is the shortest time you want the valve closed (de-energized)?

Do you have the ability of measuring the coil inductance?

mohammad2050

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Ok, so if you just want each valve on/off,
what is the shortest time you want the valve open (energized)?
what is the shortest time you want the valve closed (de-energized)?
Do you have the ability of measuring the coil inductance?
i want to open it for 1 ms and close it for 1 ms in shortest time
now I do not have them but can measure them after Receipt
do can you guide i with a example (inductance hypothetical)?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure if it will be fast enough for you but a capacitor with 100volt across it is dumped to the load (coil) by SPDT contact, the coil simultaneously switched with a mosfet, the load is also fed by a 12v source reversed biased by a small rectifier.
The 12v will come into play as soon as the diode is forward biased.
Max.

mohammad2050

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Not sure if it will be fast enough for you but a capacitor with 100volt across it is dumped to the load (coil) by SPDT contact, the coil simultaneously switched with a mosfet, the load is also fed by a 12v source reversed biased by a small rectifier.
The 12v will come into play as soon as the diode is forward biased.
Max.
You might find an LM1949 (or similar) IC useful for controlling the coil current.
thanks for your helps

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
i want to open it for 1 ms and close it for 1 ms in shortest time
now I do not have them but can measure them after Receipt
do can you guide i with a example (inductance hypothetical)?
You are dreaming!

I predict that the inductance will be at least 100mH, likely much more.

Here is theoretical driver for a 100mH, 18Ω solenoid. Note that this circuit is not practical, just to show you what will happen to the voltage across the coil, and the current through it. To see why it is not practical, check the power dissipation in M1.

V(in) is the controlling logic input. V(p)-V(d) is the voltage across the coil. I(L1) is the current through the coil.

142.gif

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Even on DC the diode is going to cause a delay in the drop out time, the period dependent on the BEMF experienced at turn off and hysteresis of the coil.
Max.

marcf

Joined Dec 29, 2014
No! the inductance of the coil limits the power dissipation during the initial period when the 100V supply is first applied
I am sorry, but I thought that 100 Volts was the activation voltage and 12 volts was the holding voltage meaning that 100V needs to be dropped across it (presumably for a very short time) before activation occurs.

Similar to a 28v irrigation solenoid that requires 1amp (28V) to activate, can be held with 100ma (3v). The 100V/12V volt ratio is similar to 28V/3V in the case of the irrigation solenoid.

I do know that in the case of the irrigation solenoid, it does require the voltage drop across it to reach 28v before it activates.

I thought this was similar.

I guess I am not looking at the problem correctly.

I suppose the term "instantaneous watts" is a little vague, but I take it to mean instantaneous voltage squared over the resistance of the coil.
I realize that the inductance of the solenoid will extend the time required to reach its activation voltage, but this voltage needs to be reached. If anything, it seems to me that time spent in peak current would be extended, and would insure that spec concerning instantaneous power (200W) was exceeded.

Is there a 'cut sheet' for this device?