What kind of watch do you wear?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Heights never bothered me. I am the tower climber for the Ham group. My good ham buddy lives in the LA Basin. He has had a hip replacement and cannot climb towers anymore, so I flew down for a three day visit, and put up a new tower, rotator, HF beam, and dipoles. He provided food, lodging, drinks and a local helper.

Have tools, belt; will travel...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I did not quit changing the light bulbs 20 feet above my property because I refuse to lift the big, heavy ladder...I quit because it scares me rubber legged!

I would tie the ladder to the six foot high fence, tie the ladder to the light pole, tie me to the ladder, tie me to the light pole, tie the ladder to the light fixture, bring the tools up in a bucket on a rope, and come down shaking like a Frenchman in a thunderstorm!

I've known for a long time that taking a fall from 20 feet might kill me. Now, I simply refuse to rev my heart up like that. It isn't worth the price when I can hire a bucket truck for $25!
Poisons and radiation often use the concept of "LD50". That is, what dose is required to kill 50% of the population that is exposed to it. I just heard from our safety officer at work that the LD50 for a fall of an adult human is about 10ft. You are wise to rent a bucket truck.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't know that number, but I decided a fall from 20 feet, at my age, would be about LD85. ;)

Psychologically, I could do it if I had to, but I will never do it again as a matter of free will.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
My regular routine involves climbing on the roof of my single story house twice a year to remove oak flowers in the spring and leaves in the fall. However, I paid a young man to do it this past spring because my balance was poor; now my balance has improved and I am undecided about my fall climb.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My regular routine involves climbing on the roof of my single story house twice a year to remove oak flowers in the spring and leaves in the fall. However, I paid a young man to do it this past spring because my balance was poor; now my balance has improved and I am undecided about my fall climb.
What could be read as you freely choosing your oportunity for a free fall. Beware!