What kind of switch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cheypr, May 5, 2013.

  1. cheypr

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Oct 13, 2009
    My wifes Jeep Cherokee have a sensor under the front seat that works with the seat belt. If someone takes a seat and doesn't buckle up, a buzzer starts to sound.

    What type is sensor is it? Is it a limit switch or a pressure switch???
  2. massimj

    New Member

    May 5, 2013
    Probably a pressure switch that can tell if person is seated. It might deactivate the air bag if it thinks nobody is in the seat. They sometimes let you turn the air bag off, so to save you money if you hit something and nobody needs the air bag in the passenger seat. I would not try to defeat the switch if it will prevent the air bag from going off when someone is seated In the passenger seat. You might be held liable if you prevent someone from getting an air bag between them and the windshield in an accident.
    PackratKing and cheypr like this.
  3. BillB3857

    Senior Member

    Feb 28, 2009

    Seems to be working right. Why do you need to replace it?
    cheypr likes this.
  4. cheypr

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Oct 13, 2009
    I'm not trying to replace it, I was just wondering what kind of switch was. I'm working on a project and I'm looking for a switch like that to turn on my system.
  5. response123

    New Member

    May 6, 2013
    It should be a pressure switch that is capable of telling if a person is seated or not.
    cheypr likes this.
  6. Kermit2

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 5, 2010
    The purpose of the switch is to tell the difference between an adult and a child, for air bag deployment purposes. It should require more than 25-30 pounds to activate. The bell you hear if a person does not buckle up is a secondary function.
    cheypr likes this.