What kind of switch has Off - One On - Two On ??

DrAlloway

Joined Apr 7, 2011
I am making my own heated jacket and gloves for my motorcycle.
So it is 12v DC

I would like to have 2 independent circuits in my Jacket and be able to turn them Off, or One On, or the Other On, or Both On. What would such a switch be named ( so I can buy one ) ??

Also: I would like to have 2 independent circuits in the Gloves but only one small plug to connect to the jacket sleeve. I have found DC power plugs but they all seem to be only 2 leads (ground and power). Do they make ones with 3 leads (common ground, power 1 and power 2). I am thinking like a stero RCA plug but don't know if they can carry 12v DC and 5 amps.

Thanks for helping out a newbie, Bob

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Welcome to AAC

Each position of your switch is called a 'way' - In your case you require 3 ways.

Each circuit you switch is called a pole - you require 2 poles (one for the gloves and and one for the jacket.

So your switch is called a 2 pole 3 way switch.
These can be obtained as rotary or linear switches.

Coaxial plugs and cables (especially rca types) are not recommended for power transmission.
There are a variety of suitable 3pin plugs and mating sockets available designed to accept power (5amp) cable. Some are weatherproof or even totally waterproof. It is also a good idea to go for a locking type, so that it can't work loose once plugged in.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I would use two slide switches, or toggle, for each function; one SP-DT- center off & a SP-ST. Power to common of SP-DT, SP-ST, shorts the two NO contacts. Now you have jacket A on or off, jacket B on or off or both on or off. Two more switches for gloves.