What kind of motor is this!?

axelstone

Joined Dec 19, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a project that I'm working on and I swear I need this exact motor in the video. Keep in mind however, that the machine in the video is a bit comical and it's purpose is gross/disgusting, but the motor is the focus of the video. Can anyone please tell me the exact motor or link me to one that is very similar.

I am working on a project that requires this type of motor and specifically the speed and torque of this motor. The motor in the video is able to go at low speed(exactly the same low speeds I need in my project) and go to higher speeds(but not too high.) Basically, the motor in the vid is perfect for my project. The person in the video controls his via a dimmer switch, which is cool and if nothing else acceptable, but I intend on using arduino to control mine.

There is ONE TINY THING.... The motor I need should be exactly like the one in the video, but should also support going in forward AND reverse direction. Can someone please link me to a suitable motor! Thank you.

Do yourself a favor and skip straight to 36 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAl8F1gl5l4

P.S.

What's the deal with this thing?? Is it plugged into the wall or what? I couldn't tell from the video, but I'm guessing I couldn't have a motor like this with the speed and direction controlled with arduino and using the wall as a power source right? Thanks again.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Of all the videos of all the internet, you choose this one?:rolleyes:

You can make a myriad of motors do this.

A brushed DC motor controlled through an H-bridge can do this easily (provided max speed is to spec), the rest is a matter of using PWM control for the speed...

P.S. At 0:38, you can see a cable in the background - it probably plugs into the wall...

axelstone

Joined Dec 19, 2013
Of all the videos of all the internet, you choose this one?:rolleyes:

You can make a myriad of motors do this.

A brushed DC motor controlled through an H-bridge can do this easily (provided max speed is to spec), the rest is a matter of using PWM control for the speed...

P.S. At 0:38, you can see a cable in the background - it probably plugs into the wall...

If it plugs into the wall, can someone tell me how it could be done? I don't understand how it would be plugged into the wall and be controlled via arduino.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
[...]I don't understand how it would be plugged into the wall and be controlled via arduino.
A transformer steps the voltage down to a usable voltage and is rectified to give you the required voltage. This voltage is then regulated and provided to the Arduino, the motor is fed from the unregulated supply...

Google is your friend....

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It has all the appearance of a Bodine DC brushed with right angle G.B. it can be controlled by a SCR bridge type controller plugged direct into the 120v AC, KB and Baldor make these for 90vdc motors.
Controlled manually with a 5k pot or a 0-10v analogue output of a controller.
No transformer or DC supply needed, apart from the bridge.
Max.

axelstone

Joined Dec 19, 2013
A transformer steps the voltage down to a usable voltage and is rectified to give you the required voltage. This voltage is then regulated and provided to the Arduino, the motor is fed from the unregulated supply...

Google is your friend....
Thanks alot man. I've searched google and have only found a few tutroials that don't explain what I need. This thread has provided more information relevant to my project than I've found on google in the past 2 days!

Anyway, I don't suppose you could link me to a transformer. Heck, could you link me to a motor that YOU would use(and a fitting transformer)? On this forum, I've read that finding the right transformer is harder than most would think, and I really don't want to mess it up by getting the wrong parts! Wiring a dc motor into the wall seems like an impossible task! Especially if I want it to be controlled with arduino. I also don't understand where arduino will be in the wiring process. So if I buy a 24v motor like the one suggested above, and it has the cord coming out, I would wire it as follows(the dashes being the cord from the motor).?

Motor-----Arduino------transformer--wall

This is very confusing. And after searching for how to wire a dc motor for a wall, literally one thing comes up. And arduino makes it more complicated!

axelstone

Joined Dec 19, 2013
It has all the appearance of a Bodine DC brushed with right angle G.B. it can be controlled by a SCR bridge type controller plugged direct into the 120v AC, KB and Baldor make these for 90vdc motors.
Controlled manually with a 5k pot or a 0-10v analogue output of a controller.
No transformer or DC supply needed, apart from the bridge.
Max.
Thanks, didn't see this message. So now you say that no transformer is needed? I really don't understand now. Can you tell me how you would do it? And link to a suitable motor please? I want to control the speed and direction of the motor with arduino.

I checked out ebay for the Bodine motors, and I actually found one that looks exactly like the one in the video. Also the stats are the same i would imagine. However I just don't see how I can possibly control the motor with adruino and have it plugged into the wall! Can you list all the parts necessary please? I don't know whether to get a transformer now or not.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Bodine 90vdc motors will operate off of a bridge rectifier connected to a 120v ac outlet, but of course no speed control.
For speed control you either need to build a bridge controller with 2 SCR's in two legs of the bridge.
KB Drives make these, if you want to control with a Microprocessor, usually it is advisable to isolate the +10v analogue.
I have done this with a MAX517 off of a Picmicro.
Here are the links.
http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html
http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/circuit_-24.html
Max.

axelstone

Joined Dec 19, 2013
The Bodine 90vdc motors will operate off of a bridge rectifier connected to a 120v ac outlet, but of course no speed control.
For speed control you either need to build a bridge controller with 2 SCR's in two legs of the bridge.
KB Drives make these, if you want to control with a Microprocessor, usually it is advisable to isolate the +10v analogue.
I have done this with a MAX517 off of a Picmicro.
Here are the links.
http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html
http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/circuit_-24.html
Max.

How about this motor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-1-8H...900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b6c26fd4

It's 1/8 hp like the one in the vid and it's 90vdc like you reccomended. Is it slow/fast enough like the one in the first video? I also found this motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bodine-24VD...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a82dc2783

but it's 24vdc.

As to my question about controlling via arduino, I found a video on youtube that implements the bridge rectifier as you suggested. I would appreciate it if you could take a look at the video(the first 1:35 of it) and tell me if that's good. He is using a dimmer switch, but I would be using an arduino board. Would I just try to duplicate what he has done and replace the dimmer switch with my arduino uno? Here's the video I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXtmVV1kjY

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
For the little I can see, it reminds me a motor found in an Epson printer that I disassembled some time ago. It had an incredible good optical encoder. German brand.

Can't recall if it was 12 or 24 V DC in spite I tested it succesfully.

Have to see if I find it somewhere in my bench.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you want to duplicate a similar rpm to the application, it may be better to look for a low current 90v Bodine with the G.B.
There is one on ebay I believe.
I meant to mention the other alternative in my last post of using a opto driven Triac before the bridge rectifier as well as the dimmer style control, the advantage to the former is that the Micro can be isolated by virtue of the opto trigger.
You do need a bit more circuitry for zero coss over switching as shown in a Fairchild App note AN-3006.
BTW, I think the guy in the video is pushing his luck, those T.M. motors are rarely rated up to 8000rpm!
Max.

Last edited: