What kind of homework does your 1st grader have?

Satterthwaite

Joined Jul 7, 2010
I have a 1st grader; however, his school does not give homework. Is this normal? Also what kind of homework are your kids bringing in, those of you with first graders?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I didn't see homework until the 4th grade, then in middle school it really clicks in.

Best thing you can do for your 1st grader (and younger) is read to them. They see it as a possitive thing and want to learn it for themselves that way.

I really started raising mine late, so I had to cheat (and on the advise of a teacher) started getting him comic books. May seem sad, but it works.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Homework belongs in the homework section! ;)

kidding.

Actually there is a movement is schools to not give homework OR TESTS!

The schools think that testing leads to kids feeling "better" or "lesser" than others who get better grades.

Ugh.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My grandchildren in Houston, TX (Missouri City area) both had worksheets in language, spelling, and arithmetic to do. It started in at least the 1st grade. No big deal. Even I could help on most of the questions. We did the sheets after dinner and before TV/games. I was only there for a few days last Fall and am not sure it was assigned for every night (like math) or just once or twice a week (e.g., spelling).

John

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Here in greece, homework in the primary school constists of photocopies of simple exercises, such as dictation, vocabulary, simple math operations. The books have also some exercises, most of wich are solved during class. Sadly, lately in an effort to modernise the textbooks, the studying material has increased tremendously, and in a fashion that promotes intuition rather that method and logic. Not only do they ask a 9 year old child to solve 45/x=9, but they do so through a grocery problem without having touched the meaning of the variable. I really feel sorry for my little sister that has to go through it.