What kind of Heatsink?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by twist2b, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. twist2b

    Thread Starter Member

    Jan 12, 2009
  2. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    Kinda hard to tell without type numbers. If they are stud mount like 1N1189's, they can mount trhough a 5/6" hole in a sink. You can get spiffy kits to insulate the stud end with mica washers and a plastic inset to keep the threads from shorting.

    If they aren't stud mount, drill a close hole in a sink and push then through with a bit of thermal compound to hold and help heat transfer.
  3. thingmaker3

    Retired Moderator

    May 16, 2005
    If it is a stud type diode you can drill and thread a properly sized hole and screw it in.

    What package type do you have?
  4. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    Be aware that threading into the sink will give you an electrically hot heat sink.
  5. Wendy


    Mar 24, 2008
    I know you know this, what I'm saying is for the OP benifit.

    You can insulate any device electrically from the heat sink. In the case you have voltages you don't want floating around, or if you need to share a heat sink with several electrically isolated devices, you need to do this.

    The early kits used thin sheets of mica, which did the job. I've also used Kapton tape, which is a high temperature tape, with good results.