What kind of diode is this?

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
The closest thing I can guess is it might be a Vishay 2-pin SOD-64 or SOD-57 package diode, but without any clear markings, it's hard to tell any further details. Considering it's in a 12VDC control box, it might be a zener diode, a rectifier, or a switching diode. Based on the letter I can see, it might be a switching diode (like something from the BYV series maybe?) Unfortunately, that's all I can guess.
If you have a clearer view yourself of the markings, check Vishay's website.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
The thick leads give a hint to it being capable of some considerable amperage. But without knowing what type of diode it is - that is to say without the data sheet - we can't tell exactly what it is.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There is a current jump from typically 1A for the tubular-shaped rectifier diodes to 3A for that style. When they get up to 5A is when you start seeing the screw in studs. Desolder it and read the markings. I'd put my money on a 3A rectifier.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The rather heavy leads, left longer than they had to be, served as some heat sinking. No obvious simple way to attach that round ball to a heat sink, otherwise. Back in 1968.

Vinny7102

Joined Feb 5, 2017
Thanks for all the input guys, it was a great help.

ZCochran and ScottWang, I looked at the diode under a high power magnifier and was able to make out most of the writing... about 99% sure its a BYV28-100-TR.

You guys are great! Much appreciated!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is writing on those diodes???? You must have a good magnifier!! Or those are a different brand than the ones I bought way back when. in 1968.

Vinny7102

Joined Feb 5, 2017
There is writing on those diodes???? You must have a good magnifier!! Or those are a different brand than the ones I bought way back when. in 1968.
Yep, at 30x mag, I can pretty clearly make out the 100V marking and residual paint substrate.
You can see some of the marking on the pic attached to the original post.

Regards...Vin