What is this?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The cap;
222M = 222 (2200pF) tolerance M (5% ?)
KX250~ = 250v AC
X1Y1 (complies with X1 and Y1 spec for cap safety)

It's very hard to blowup a cap of that type, and when they do blow they almost always short out badly (and may be cracked open).

The most common cause of failure in that type of SMPS would be an open circuit LV supply resistor R808, 830, both 10k) or a failed electro in the LV supply C814 47uF. Replace that cap and lift one leg of each resistor and measure them.

Also check the 390k resistors in the Vsense line R812,3,4,5, again lift one leg and measure them.

And the other 390k HV resistors 806,7,3,5.

And what's the voltage from IC pin8 to pin6?

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
The cap;
222M = 222 (2200pF) tolerance M (5% ?)
KX250~ = 250v AC
X1Y1 (complies with X1 and Y1 spec for cap safety)

It's very hard to blowup a cap of that type, and when they do blow they almost always short out badly (and may be cracked open).

The most common cause of failure in that type of SMPS would be an open circuit LV supply resistor R808, 830, both 10k) or a failed electro in the LV supply C814 47uF. Replace that cap and lift one leg of each resistor and measure them.

Also check the 390k resistors in the Vsense line R812,3,4,5, again lift one leg and measure them.

And the other 390k HV resistors 806,7,3,5.

And what's the voltage from IC pin8 to pin6?

First time I heard of the term "X1Y1" I was reading up on it and it's interesting.

I'm not sure where you are seeing resistors 812 at or any R8xx resistors at..

And as far as can caps I replaced them all I spent $40 in caps and that was a waste because that was not the issue they are all brand new Panasonic can caps.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The resistor fault is as likely as the cap fault! You need to check those resistors shown in your schematic above, the chains of 390k resistors and 10k resistors. Sorry if I got the resistor numbers wrong, the readability of the text on the schematic is not great. :)

The reason they use a chain of resistors in series is that the circuit voltages are much higher than the safe voltage for one resistor! They are a very common cause of failure, and the fault mode is that one or more resistors will go high in value or worst case will be open-circuit.

To test them you lift one leg of each resistor (one leg totally free of the PCB), and measure the resistor with your multimeter set to ohms. :)

Last edited:

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
Any tips on lifting the SMD resistor? I already have another projector coming in which has the same power supply as the one I'm trying to fix, but I wont be home the day it will be delivered.. I was going to compare the two of them, could be the resistors since I was looking at a video of a Sony power supply and while his was through hole he had no output power because of the resistors.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Haha whoops! Sorry about that, I missed that they were SMD resistors as I looked mainly at the schematic not the PCB photo. :)

As they are in a series chain you can just remove one SMD resistor, and measure it out of circuit.

The remaining resistors in the series chain are now effectively disconnected from the circuit as the chain is broken, so they can be measured with the ohmeter without needing to remove them from the PCB.

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
Could you replace the SMPS with an external ATX power supply? What current rating do you need on each rail?
The board lists:

12V 3.6A
5V 0.15A

But not sure you can do that?

Haha whoops! Sorry about that, I missed that they were SMD resistors as I looked mainly at the schematic not the PCB photo. :)

As they are in a series chain you can just remove one SMD resistor, and measure it out of circuit.

The remaining resistors in the series chain are now effectively disconnected from the circuit as the chain is broken, so they can be measured with the ohmeter without needing to remove them from the PCB.
Ah I see, I might try later in the morning.. last time I messed around with a 45W iron when sleepy was never a great idea!

Be aware that the schematic picture I showed is not from my projector but from in general how most projectors use the PFC IC, I can say it matches about 70% of how mine is laid out.

I also do know when the last time I was checking the board (still did not work) on the large cap I saw 164VDC on the cap far less then the 390V it should be.. but I will check those resistors in the morning.

Last edited:

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
Uhmm wow.. I just checked because curiosity got the best of me.. I checked Resistors R114 (1274)(1.27 Mohm) R116 (1274) R118 (1274) I got no reading on those 3 resistors.. I will follow up with a picture

I take it back my analog meter was not showing it but the digital meter is showing the correct resistance.

Last edited: