What is this kind of connector.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Those are tungsten electrodes, normally used as spark gaps, and highly illegal depending on the frequency and current being applied because they produce high energy EMI that disrupts radio emissions in a very wide frequency band.

thedoc8

Joined Nov 28, 2012
Those are tungsten electrodes, normally used as spark gaps, and highly illegal depending on the frequency and current being applied because they produce high energy EMI that disrupts radio emissions in a very wide frequency band.

Did not know that because they are widely use for the spark gaps in tesla coil. Never heard that before, will check out.

thedoc8

Joined Nov 28, 2012

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Are you sure about that? Almost all Tig welders use something very similar in their high frequency start circuit. Usually 2 or more spark gaps in series.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Are you sure about that? Almost all Tig welders use something very similar in their high frequency start circuit. Usually 2 or more spark gaps in series.
Also all of the arc initiators on the Plasma Arc cutting machines I have worked on use them, a simple Tank coil, capacitor and dual spark gap.
Max.
As I said, it depends on the frequency and current being applied. But I'm sure those machines have a filter or snubber of some sort. What I do know, is that Carbon Arc Lamps (which work under the same principle) were not only phased out by the incandescent lamp, but were also later declared illegal for their large EMI emissions.

The point of my observation was only that the TS should be careful about the circuitry he intends to use to generate said sparks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The pilot arc plasma ones I have serviced on large units have very basic components for the pilot arc, a mains transformer, high voltage capacitor, tank coil and two sets of spark gap.
Max.