what is this? flux?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fez, Oct 7, 2011.

  1. fez

    Thread Starter Member

    Dec 6, 2009
    Please see the attached picture. What exactly are those things I've circled, those solidified-liquid-ish things, those solid blobs of some jelly sticking the wires/cable to the PCB terminals? Is it some sort of flux? I've used soldering irons so I know what that is, and what solder is, but all that 'flux' and 'wick' stuff is confusing, and the fact that they have types makes it more problematic for. Google hasn't helped me much.

    I want to know what that material/thing is so that I can go about trying to purchase it. It its indeed 'flux', then of what type?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. mik3

    Senior Member

    Feb 4, 2008
  3. kubeek


    Sep 20, 2005
    Or something similar like silicone glue etc. Definitely used to keep the wires in place.
  4. Mickster

    Active Member

    Jan 10, 2010
    My vote is for hot-melt glue too.
  5. fez

    Thread Starter Member

    Dec 6, 2009
    I see. Any other use for it? Any substitutes for it?

    And while I'm at it, what exactly is flux, then?
  6. paulktreg

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jun 2, 2008
    Non-corrosive silicon sealant does the job but you need to give it time to set but a hot glue gun is best. You often see it inside computer power supplies. It's used to hold larger components in place like capacitors and large inductors and can be used to stop some components from resonating and making "whining" noises in time with the switched mode frequency.

    Flux is used in soldering to help clean the joint and aid with solder adhesion. It's often already "inside" multicore solders.
  7. Navyjetfixer

    New Member

    Oct 7, 2011
    Solder Flux is a rosin based material from pine sap. Flux is activated by the heat of the solder process, cleaning and deoxidizing the joint as you solder, improving solder flow and adhesion.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011