what is this? flux?

fez

Joined Dec 6, 2009
Please see the attached picture. What exactly are those things I've circled, those solidified-liquid-ish things, those solid blobs of some jelly sticking the wires/cable to the PCB terminals? Is it some sort of flux? I've used soldering irons so I know what that is, and what solder is, but all that 'flux' and 'wick' stuff is confusing, and the fact that they have types makes it more problematic for. Google hasn't helped me much.

I want to know what that material/thing is so that I can go about trying to purchase it. It its indeed 'flux', then of what type?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

fez

Joined Dec 6, 2009
I see. Any other use for it? Any substitutes for it?

And while I'm at it, what exactly is flux, then?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Non-corrosive silicon sealant does the job but you need to give it time to set but a hot glue gun is best. You often see it inside computer power supplies. It's used to hold larger components in place like capacitors and large inductors and can be used to stop some components from resonating and making "whining" noises in time with the switched mode frequency.

Flux is used in soldering to help clean the joint and aid with solder adhesion. It's often already "inside" multicore solders.

Navyjetfixer

Joined Oct 7, 2011

Solder Flux is a rosin based material from pine sap. Flux is activated by the heat of the solder process, cleaning and deoxidizing the joint as you solder, improving solder flow and adhesion.

Last edited: