What is this component?

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
I'm confused. You say you have 13V coming out of the control board going to the motor. You also say the motor runs with a drill motor battery. Do you have wires connecting the motor to the control board that are bad?
I tested again and now I have 0V on the control board. Yes the motor runs slowly with a 14V or 18V drill battery. Wires are perfect as I used them to connect to the drill battery. When the motor is connected to the control board it won't move at all. It is a 180V motor. Thanks

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
I wouldn't trust a voltmeter reading that measures a PWM output.

The right instrument for that job is an oscilloscope.
I haven't got one and I'm pretty sure they aren't cheap either. Think I'll spend another day working on it and if I'm unsuccessful I will start replacing any major components such as transistors, capacitor and major diodes. Its killing me because I know its something ridiculously simple.

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
Okay so I went out playing around with the controller board again and was testing diodes. There is 4 diodes near each other near the mains voltage. They are all 10A8 diodes. Three of them read 0.3 when I tested them using my multimeter and the other one read .001. Could it be assumed that the fourth diode has failed? If so can anyone point me to a website where I could buy a replacement. I tried looking on ebay but couldn't find one :(
Update:
Could I possible replace it with a 10A10 instead?
Details of 10A8 and 10A10 here : http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/190267/WTE/10A8.html

Last edited:

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
give us a picture component side and solderside of the board....you can desolder one side of your diode from the board and check them with your meter set to diode test to check if the diode is ok ,oc or sc both ways...

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Do yourself a favor and do not just replace the diode and power up your board again. There maybe a reason for the diode having burnt.

Check at least all major power semiconductors.

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply but I have been flat out busy lately. Anyways, the treadmill still isin't working for me.
I have tested the large capacitor, fuse, two rectangular components (possible transistors), replaced a diode and removed the varistor which kept blowing and still no joy. The motor definately works as I have tested it from a drill battery. The treadmill is receiving proper voltage as I have tested this. Has anyone any ideas as to what other components I should check. Thanks Thomas

Attachments

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
If you aren't sure what they are, how did you test them? One is labeled as a diode, one as a transistor.
I took a guess and tested them in diode mode and resistance mode and got readings for both.
I have to repair this board myself as you cannot buy them anymore :mad:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What are the part numbers on the transistor type items? I can't read them in the photo.

I'm afraid you don't have the right equipment to find a small fault, it's a matter of seeing if there is a signal to the base of the transistor, if so, it might be bad, if not, then the part of the circuit that creates that signal may not be functioning.

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
What are the part numbers on the transistor type items? I can't read them in the photo.

I'm afraid you don't have the right equipment to find a small fault, it's a matter of seeing if there is a signal to the base of the transistor, if so, it might be bad, if not, then the part of the circuit that creates that signal may not be functioning.
I won't be able to get part numbers until morning. All I have is a digital multimeter and a soldering iron.
What the problem is, is that not enough power is going to the motor + and - terminals. Off hand would you have any idea which area of the board I should be checking.
Thanks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It could be anywhere on the board, as I stated. If there's no signal on the base/gate of the output transistor, somewhere "upstream" isn't creating the signal. With the info given, there was a surge, at which point many components could be damaged without showing external signs of failure. Without stepping through the paths for power supply and signal, it's hard to tell.

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
It could be anywhere on the board, as I stated. If there's no signal on the base/gate of the output transistor, somewhere "upstream" isn't creating the signal. With the info given, there was a surge, at which point many components could be damaged without showing external signs of failure. Without stepping through the paths for power supply and signal, it's hard to tell.
Sounds like I have a long day ahead of me on friday so. might be easier to just buy every component and replace them all

tcawley29

Joined Jan 23, 2013
Okay so I went out to look at the board again today. I tested these two components using diode mode on my multimeter. I could ony get a reading between two pins on each of these. I believe these two components could be faulty because the board is slightly brown around them.
My problem is that there is no part numbers on these so I don't know what to replace them with. Anyone have any ideas. One is labelled on the board as Q8 and the other as D1.
Thanks everyone

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Have you looked at the photos you posted? The important part is not in focus. Back up and hold steady (or use a tripod).