What is the purpose of the 'LOAD' input in a counter?

asulikeit

Joined May 1, 2012
I'm building a code breaker which basically works on trial and error. The counter provides me inputs and stops when the code matches. I have the rest figured out but don't know the purpose of the input 'LOAD' or pin 11 in IC 74191. Datasheets aren't helping either.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Right in the 3rd paragraph of the first page.

This counter is fully programmable; that is, the outputs may be preset to either level by placing a low on the load input and entering the desired data at the data inputs. The

It is for preloading the counter.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
There are 4 data inputs that will be transferred to the counter outputs when the load input is low, independent of clock (asynchronous load). This allows you to "jam" the counter to any count you desire, at any time.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Here's an example where you might want to use counter LOAD. You can retrofit an old AM radio with a digital frequency display by measuring the frequency of the local oscillator, but since the LO is 455 kHz above the received frequency, you want to preset the counters 455,000 below zero, then count cycles for a second. These chips let you do this sort of thing.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here's an example where you might want to use counter LOAD. You can retrofit an old AM radio with a digital frequency display by measuring the frequency of the local oscillator, but since the LO is 455 kHz above the received frequency, you want to preset the counters 455,000 below zero, then count cycles for a second. These chips let you do this sort of thing.
Great example!

Here is my AM radio receiver digital frequency readout that has been preloaded with the -455kHz value: