What is the purpose of ground in this supply?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
The ground, green colored jack, is a direct tie to earth ground. Generally this is not used in circuits, you would just use the positive and negative terminals.

For a +/- supply the positive of output 2 and negative of output 1 are tied together and this becomes your reference point. The negative of output 2 is the negative voltage and the positive of output 1 is the positive voltage.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
I have this supply. Works great for GP stuff.

Only problem I have had is when using it for VHF circuits... Not a surprise as it is not rated for such applications.

As mentioned by BSomer, the two supplies are isolated. The green lead allows you reference either or both rails to earth ground.

Realize the supply also has provisions to internally series or parallel the two rails using the center rotary switch.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have this supply. Works great for GP stuff.

Only problem I have had is when using it for VHF circuits... Not a surprise as it is not rated for such applications.

What has it being a VHF circuit have to do with the power supply? :confused: If the VHF circuit is properly decoupled, the design of the power supply should have little effect on it's operation. I've never seen a power supply specifically rated for VHF type circuits.