What is the point of the warning if this happens?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hey @strantor !

I'm alive and well but buy IRL and inactive in AAC. Life called and it demanded more affection and time.
I open the forum every now and then to gather mail and alerts.

I hope you do fine,
Cheers!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Cant see what have mislabeled at all...
Yes, that's obvious. Like many, you seem to think marketing and advertising are interchangeable terms. I hate the term "telemarketing" because it perpetuates that confusion. That activity is pure advertising.

Marketing is looking ahead a few years, studying what customers want and where the market is headed, and what your company is capable of, and then developing the best products you can.

The advertising program used to launch and support a product is a small piece of the marketing plan and indeed the marketing people might have little to do with it. It's one more function that needs to be managed, like finance or manufacturing, and may or may not answer to the marketing management.

Yes, that's obvious. Like many, you seem to think marketing and advertising are interchangeable terms. I hate the term "telemarketing" because it perpetuates that confusion. That activity is pure advertising.

Marketing is looking ahead a few years, studying what customers want and where the market is headed, and what your company is capable of, and then developing the best products you can.

Thats very true back in the days of drawing offices and A frame boards with parallel whats its, we have cad packages now and e marketing. Ask the owners to explain it to you as they run and own a sucessful marketing company with a brand called AAC.

I know I know, you been in the game 150 years etc etc.................. just wait till you find out whats been done to the gramophone! and please dont think the next time you pick up the phone and a woman dosnt ask you what number you want that the phone is broken. Oh regarding phones your not gonna believe this but the come without cords!!! I kid you not you can use them outside and......... why am I bothering? your never going to believe all this anyway.

Would suggest you look on wikipedia, but then i got to explain that this is what we now use instead of the encyclopedia Britannica, sorry but I just dont have time to argue the smallest details with somone who needs such a massive firmware upgrade

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Not to mention at least one multi paragraph manifesto. Who has the time to read all of that let alone write it?
Well for those precious few who do not have ADD and actually like reading it's no big deal.

Extended reading sessions could even be borderline educational at times too if one is willing to bypass their preconceived beliefs and take in another person's perspective or knowledge on a topic. ;)

Yea I know, not having ADD and having an open mind at the same time. Pretty rare occurrences for most people who hang out in forums. :rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well ADD has been known to make things that might require more than 20 seconds of concentration and focused thought to seem like an endless endeavor to many. :p

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I still cannot figure out the mixed messages of this site's goal or reasoning behind the policy of not locking old threads until someone makes a post on the old thread. I've heard various reasons but none have made sense. Here is the latest post to an old thread (see below), subsequent locking of said thread and no instruction to the new member.

Now, I've had various theories of why this policy is in place but, all have been proven unsatisfactory (or I've been told they are not valid by the site administration/owner).

In any case, on such explanation included something about old threads show up on search results from google, it brings new users to the site. Well, guys, if I was a new user, brought by the google search results, was interested in the thread, bothered to sign up with the intention to make a comment or ask a follow-on question, see the warning that the thread is old (with no verbiage that the thread will be locked if a post is made), and then get the door slammed me for making a comment or follow-on question - I would think to my self, WTF, and then not return to this site.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/lift-problem.45434/page-2#post-955835

View attachment 99336

Example warning for your pleasure - most of the more active members never see this...

View attachment 99337

My question:
Under what circumstances would a post to an old thread not get locked?
(Besides the extremely rare occasion that an OP comes back to update, since that is about 1 in 1000 and serves no significant justification compared to the user dissatisfaction of the current situation)

My suggestion:
Make a decision, either allow old threads to linger and be posted to, OR lock them.

Or at least change the wording in the pink box to, "if you post to this thread, it will be locked" - also, make sure that message is visible before the reader bothers to sign up so you don't waste his time.
I was bored so I thought I would look at this thread again. Kind of funny actually.
Did anyone notice this was the second time this post was resurrected? The first time was relevant and a new thread was started for him. The second was the one posted in this thread and I can't see any value in it. Why they ignored the warning I have no idea.
The whole thing seems like there is no one right way to do it. Think I'll start a poll. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you don't like how a site is run you can always leave, the ultimate democracy in action. Until the other site does something you don't like that is.

If a policy is not accidental but a deliberate decision, there isn't much you can do about it except take it or leave.

You can suggest what you think is a better proposal, but the staff do not have to buy into it.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
If you don't like how a site is run you can always leave, the ultimate democracy in action. Until the other site does something you don't like that is.

If a policy is not accidental but a deliberate decision, there isn't much you can do about it except take it or leave.

You can suggest what you think is a better proposal, but the staff do not have to buy into it.
As a moderator, if you can't say something nice you would be better off saying nothing at all.