What is the point of the warning if this happens?

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
My job at the moment is being a mailman. Not the virtual kind but the one in the flesh. We do get sent with a lot of advertisement. Often I've among other people wondered why we are sent with stuff that is focused on companies but not homes(and vice versa) when only a fraction of those companies/homes will find use in the service or material.

Yet they put up a brochure every week to be delivered to every home or businesses.

It must pay off...

So user does a search sees a thread they want to answer or ask a question on, the thread isnt locked so they join up, you have the hard part done he has joined. He asks the question and bam the thread is locked, but a good number will think 'oh I got rules wrong' and will post a BRAND NEW thread on yet another same topic, so you get the increase in traffic converted to larger number of new registered users and this matches an increase in new threads. Its a clever marketing way of upping the ad value of a forum site
But then how to account for the "single (simultaneous) thread, per topic per member" policy?:confused:;););)

Best regards
HP:cool:

ad clicking is old tech, modern marketing is about product exposure, take sil labs and there ad on the from page, or rather the write up about the new 8 bit board, the amount paid to have it put there would be alot, AAC also has good facebook exposure so sil labs gets exposure from its own site marketing and the site here and others. I believe its called product saturation launching, something similar.

Everyone is driven to the front page, the things on that page are not blockable by add blocks (not the high price slots) instead informative articles are written and people read them, this is called a referral, so you open the article and some will go look on sil labs site. job done

The days of pay per click are old, the valuation I gave was just based on click value not on what is earnt from high price slots like front page. so in a nut shell you want people joining and a new thread from them to up what you charge simples

they are a marketing company and extremely good at it, its very subtle and well done. http://www.siteprice.org/website-worth/allaboutcircuits.com look at the sites with a higher valuation, the valuation is purely for the domain name and based on the metrics I described, its more to it than the simplified version I gave, if I knew all the ins and out then I would be working for them.

That aside it all hinges on people answering a constant stream of NEW THREADS, without that its just another web page. So cherish the members as they are what feeds the beast, thats probably why owners dont get over involved in the politics ;)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So user does a search sees a thread they want to answer or ask a question on, the thread isnt locked so they join up, you have the hard part done he has joined. He asks the question and bam the thread is locked, but a good number will think 'oh I got rules wrong' and will post a BRAND NEW thread on yet another same topic, so you get the increase in traffic converted to larger number of new registered users and this matches an increase in new threads. Its a clever marketing way of upping the ad value of a forum site, it has zero to do with SEO or click rates. Those were all worked out years ago and new techniques for working out what a site is worth paying per word of add is now in use.
And you are completely wet behind the ears. This kind of thinking is not at play in any of the thinking by any member of the mod team. Period. I would say that there is a love-hate relationship between the forum side of the house and the commercial side of the house, but that implies that there is some love involved somewhere and it has never been too much in evidence. :D

The mod staff has no say in what happens on the commercial side (our input might well be welcome, but most of us just choose to ignore that that side even exists) and the commercial side, wisely, leaves the forum side alone. Not once, to the best of my knowledge, have they even tried to insinuate themselves into how the forum is managed. They most certainly have not told us to do this or not do that for the purpose of getting more hits or more members or more threads or anything else -- that's just pure conspiracy theory tripe. About the only effect the commercial side has had since it started up is to make the owner more available to answer questions and to do administrative tasks that otherwise were being put on a back burner.

HP, you misunderstood my poor description.
The hard part is getting a sign up, so leave a thread open and someone joins to post in it, you get a fresh join.....

Then they ask in the origanal thread and its closed, alot of them will think oh well I did the hard bit (joining) so will start a new thread.Bingo new joiner new thread and higher post rate, that one question generated two posts, the one that was shut and the new one they had to open. There is more to it but thats the gist of how it works.

ADDS
Stop thinking of adds like we used to see, the new sil labs board on the front page is a modern add, but looks and feels like an article, its more about market exposure, plus then you add in facebook etc.
Dont take my word for it, do modern business studies and marketing at Stranraer Academy :D

Please read again, I already said I very much doubt the mod team know why its done, why would the company tell you? why would they tell anyone? No one likes working for free and thats what your all doing, members included.

No offense but I might be wet behind the ears but I am not a mushroom ;), I also do reviews for a company that buys space here, others on another site see the boards I am paid in.

You get experience with age, but on the downside your eyesight gets worse and you dont always see whats in front of you.

Anyway I am not a chrished member so I dont think adding anything else will help, those want to look into it can and those that dont wont. I am back to soldering bye

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
None of which applies to this forum. I've stated my logic for the policy, hijacking threads and moderator convenience (which isn't if we move posts around). It goes no deeper than that.

We didn't have a front page until 2 years ago, so there was no marketing on this site at all until then.

None of which applies to this forum. I've stated my logic for the policy, hijacking threads and moderator convenience (which isn't if we move posts around). It goes no deeper than that.

We didn't have a front page until 2 years ago, so there was no marketing on this site at all until then.
it was a different type of marketing, things move on, or we would still be in the anologue age wouldnt we

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Please read again, I already said I very much doubt the mod team know why its done, why would the company tell you? why would they tell anyone? No one likes working for free and thats what your all doing, members included.
This only works if the mod team is doing something that "the company" is telling us to do -- whether they tell us why or not. But since almost all of the day to day practices are the result of the evolution of the consensus of the mod team, your theory falls apart. Unless, of course, "the company" is using Jedi mind tricks to control us.

tell you what, log out, then back in, that is what every new member sees, you might not have been told to do it, my point is what your doing is used to advantage in how the marketing is done, its brilliant and they are are a great marketing team, there skill is proven, they use the current system to full advantage and no one is really any wiser, anyway log out and tell me what you see. that page is what all new members see when they have to sign up to start a thread, that page cost aq fortune to be on. But does it look much like old adds did? NO, hence things move on.

Just look into modern techniques, I would love to talk more on it, but I honestly got something I have to get finished, so please excuse me I will be back tomorrow

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
tell you what, log out, then back in, that is what every new member sees, you might not have been told to do it, my point is what your doing is used to advantage in how the marketing is done, its brilliant and they are are a great marketing team, there skill is proven, they use the current system to full advantage and no one is really any wiser, anyway log out and tell me what you see. that page is what all new members see when they have to sign up to start a thread, that page cost aq fortune to be on. But does it look much like old adds did? NO, hence things move on.

Just look into modern techniques, I would love to talk more on it, but I honestly got something I have to get finished, so please excuse me I will be back tomorrow
What does ANY of that have to do with how the way the mod team handle necroposted threads is part of some ultra-sophisticated marketing strategy? How can it possibly be part of some grand strategy unless the people that came up with the strategy are determining how necroposted threads are handled?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Some endeavors are labors of love. I used to run a BBS until about 4 years ago. There wasn't any money it it at all. I gave up on it because it became so obsolete that it was impossible to support.

There are still many web forums that fall under this category. Hobbies exist for self gratification and occasionally altruistic motives.

I believe that is what got this site started. One of the core features is the open source text book. That and good moderators and administrators have made it more successful than most, and became a valuable asset because of it. The owner has incorporated and is trying to turn a major time sink into a cash flow. I wish him luck, but that has very little do to with the forum and how it is run. When I log in I log directly into the forums, it is not a hard setup to do. I rarely look at the front page unless I get curious. Which means I see no adverts, click no links unless I've investigating a spammer.

HP, you misunderstood my poor description.
The hard part is getting a sign up, so leave a thread open and someone joins to post in it, you get a fresh join.....

Then they ask in the origanal thread and its closed, alot of them will think oh well I did the hard bit (joining) so will start a new thread.Bingo new joiner new thread and higher post rate, that one question generated two posts, the one that was shut and the new one they had to open. There is more to it but thats the gist of how it works.
Thanks, I've got that:) -- My point was merely that permitting multiple, similar, simultaneous posts by the same 'author' would seem pursuant to the ends you outline? -- Yet site policy prohibits it...

Best regards
HP:)

@Little Ghostman

What's the big revelation? -- It goes without saying that content providers (CIP the membership) support the fora - no arcane secret there!:confused: -- Though I see it as a symbiotic relationship as opposed to 'unilateral parasitism' -- The membership provide content (and, hence, revenue/market share - by whatever means) whereas the site provides structure, access, and, though it be tacit, significant 'tort shelter' --- Seems equitable to me?

Sincere thanks for your well researched commentary!:cool:

Best regards

Last edited:
@Little Ghostman

What's the big revelation? -- It goes without saying that content providers (CIP the membership) support the fora - no arcane secret there!:confused: -- Though I see it as a symbiotic relationship as opposed to 'unilateral parasitism' -- The membership provide content (and, hence, revenue/market share - by whatever means) whereas the site provides structure, access, and, though it be tacit, significant 'tort shelter' --- Seems equitable to me?

Sincere thanks for your well researched commentary!:cool:

Best regards
Hi
I agree 100% with you, and I dont want people to think I was saying anything was wrong with this system. Before I go into why I mentioned it I will add for balance one of the more common methods of revenue making for a marketing business (which this is and is clearly stated, also this company is extremely good at what they do), the other method I think most people are more aware of and would agree is annoying.

I refer to forums with a dummy post every X posts with a blatant ad on it! The one's most of us block and ignore.

And because most of us block and ignore these a better more sophisticated method was developed, which is what you see on the front page. The system used is much better, articles are written or reviews done on the product and provide information. The point of doing marketing this way is purely for product exposure, so at some point when your looking for X,Y, or Z you remember seeing X product and go look it up. There is NOTHING wrong with this, and its less intrusive than the fake posts with blatant adds on. Read the front page sometime it contains some good info on new products, most is well written.

Before I explain why I brought the whole thing up remember one important fact of life. You do not operate with free will in many aspects of life, I think the best and clearest example of this is a supermarket. So much money,time and effort goes into hiring psychologists marketing experts when deciding both product placement and shop layout, even if you have a list when you goto shop and just buy whats on the list. dont be fooled into thinking your choices are entirely your own!! Too much time,effort and money goes into making sure it isnt!! And clearly it works as the shops make a good profit!

I brought all this up for two reasons, one in particular I think is being completely misunderstood. First of all I mentioned it in response to the comment about just being members, far from just being members we are actually extremely important to the business, I think this kind of comment is unhelpful and untrue. Also while on this subject I will address a point by Wendy, you dont look at the front page nor do you click on whatever as you stated. I rarely do myself and around 95% of everyone else is the same.

The whole point is the other 5% who do, or the 15% who get exposure (they see the product ), so the more new members and more traffic means the 5% and 15% number is higher. The higher these numbers are equals what you are able to sell copy space for on the front page. So I hate to break the news to you Wendy, but you and I dont matter in this respect, it's the ones who do click or are exposed that matters, and the more us that dont matter means the higher the number of those that do matter!

The other point that keeps being raised is the mod team are not told to lock the necro post after a person posts in it, its just something they do. You entirely miss the point with this, its not important that this you decided to do this without being told what to do!
The marketing team very clearly looked at how the site operates and used this knowledge to there advantage, so if I had to make a guess I would say on this site the advertising (lets just call it the front page) was placed where it was and the system of sign done the way it is so as many natural aspects of the forum behavior were used to advantage.

This is one reason I said at the start that the marketing team here are excellent and why they can charge what they do. If I wanted to hire a site marketing team or even just wanted product exposure I wouldnt hesitate to use them, they are effective at marketing to a high degree. The simple fact few people realized the extent of marketing going on here and the amount of money being made, just shows what a decent job they have done. like a supermarket the best ones are those that you dont even realize are selling you things THEY WANT you to buy.

HP you make my point nicely, the original reason I posted was to point out we do matter after we were told we didnt. The relationship is indeed more symbiotic than parasitic, however this needs to be tempered with some truths, much of the material like the books that make this site valuable were written free of charge, had a company had to pay for a copywriter then the profit margin would not be what is!! For us we get many thing out of the site and often different people get different rewards for being here, some gain knowledge, some relieve boredom etc etc, it matters little what each gets from the experience. What matters more is everybody gets something they want from the experience.

One of the other things that struck me was how they have such good placement in the rankings, if you look at what is staring you in the face then you begin to see why I say the team behind the business are truly world class at there business (marketing is there business), the main keyword that drives people here is............ Binary addition!! 38% of the driven traffic is from that keyword.
How may electronic sites even have it as a keyword? Absolutely brilliant and well thought out.

For those that dont get this point it means the following.

The main reason for so many unique visitors is because this site uses a keyword few others use, therefore they have less competition when people type it. Or to try and explain it in a better way (I wish I was HP at times) not all new users come here because they searched for binary addition, but most people who type that in google will end up here (if that makes sense). I find it difficult to explain things well and while I like to think despite my wet ears I am actually highly intelligent, I am aware my skill at language is below average but this is the price I guess I pay for other traits I am good at.

Sorry for this being long winded, in part I made the assumption that everyone knew about modern marketing metric etc and understood how and why the company behind AAC is so good at what they do.
In short if you have a electronic product you want market exposure for , then have it done here. The best of the best market or rather expose products with few realizing they are being exposed to them.
Please dont assume I am suggesting its trickery because I am not, I am saying unlike the sites with fake users and blatant adds, here the marketing is unobtrusive and informative or put another way its done in a way that is unoffensive yet extremely effective, and that is exactly why the site is worth what it is and they are making large sums of money, not because people are being ripped off but because they are good at there job.

So Mods be clear on one thing, we matter every bit as much as you do (maybe a little more at time). Try and treat all members with a slightly less abrasive manner, I can promise you the moment the figures start dropping and people leave it would happen swiftly (look at ETO not long ago), the team running the business will cut you loose the moment you affect the bottom line.

On ETO, its doing ok again now and has settled, but it went from busy to not busy extremely quickly, the kind of people behind this business will spot the signs early and act. Until then I think they will continue to stay hands off (it works), ETO will rise again but a forum takes a very long time to recover and a very short time to die.

One last request..............Telling me I am wet behind the ears is as offensive to me as I am sure me telling you that your way over the hill and well behind on modern marketing techniques, so please lets agree a little mutual respect. This may not be a democracy but it is also not a place to talk down to people, especially when your number one function is to set an example by your action and words.

HP if you think I have made anything unclear please let me know, I appreciate your input and questions as I dont always spot the parts I write that can be ambiguous, by speaking up you help me to clarify what I mean. So I thank you again for your input

LG

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
While we're identifying insults, let's not overlook the use of the term "marketing" for what is actually the art of advertising. They are not the same thing, and those skilled at one or the other are both insulted when their craft is mislabeled.

While we're identifying insults, let's not overlook the use of the term "marketing" for what is actually the art of advertising. They are not the same thing, and those skilled at one or the other are both insulted when their craft is mislabeled.
Cant see what have mislabeled at all, most of it here is product exposure or what you call the art of advertising while same of it is established products which is the term used for advertising.
I expect yet someone else getting long in the tooth and assuming the wet eared one has it wrong.

By the way the thing you connect with online is called a router these days not a modem ;).