1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

what is the name of this device?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by frascati, Dec 31, 2011.

  1. frascati

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jun 1, 2010
    I'm looking for a wall receptacle that will switch on a second device when it senses load from a primary device.

    Used to be that many home audio/theater components sported "switched outlets" on the chassis. That was handy for powering up accessories with one panel switch. It's less common today, perhaps for liabilities' sake... i don't know. But my modern plasma television has no such thing.

    In any case, I've heard of devices that plug into the wall outlet and provide two or more outlets. One of which is the primary which accepts the plug from your main component (plasma television in my case). The other receptacle/s switch on/off depending on load sensed from the primary.

    Can anyone tell me what these things are called so that I might do a google search and purchase some?
  2. tracecom

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 16, 2010
  3. praondevou

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jul 9, 2011
  4. thatoneguy


    Feb 19, 2009
    Smart Strip or ask google about "Energy Saving Power Strip"

    Cheaper to buy than build in many cases now that they are very common.
  5. frascati

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jun 1, 2010