What is the most economical way to have a power supply providing voltage up to 3kV and current up to 1-2 mA?

tim.zander

Joined Jul 5, 2022
I need to perform some physics experiments and need a regulated DC power supply which can produce voltage in the range of 200V-3kV and current up to 1-2 mA.

What is the most economical way to have such power supply? I couldn't find anything like this on EBay/Amazon, but I can easily solder things myself if needed.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I need to perform some physics experiments and need a regulated DC power supply which can produce voltage in the range of 200V-3kV and current up to 1-2 mA.

What is the most economical way to have such power supply? I couldn't find anything like this on EBay/Amazon, but I can easily solder things myself if needed.
This is not exactly a low budget weekend hobby project. The components are going to be expensive, especially when purchased in low volumes. I question your choices of Ebay and Amazon as primary sources for a specialty product like this.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Let us set aside economics for the moment.

One usually begins with the standard laboratory benchtop HV supply.
https://www.matsusada.com/product/hvps1/

One can purchase similar supplies in a modular format.
https://www.matsusada.com/product/hvps2/

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/xp-power/F30/6802051
As @MrChips has so adequately demonstrated you don't go to bargain retailers for specialty products. There are many more out there; you just have to expend a modicum of effort to find them.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I got all my HV supplies used. One is a "Hi Pot Tester".
No one uses a 3kV supply now days. That is why they are hard to sale for $199.00.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
One question no one has asked....

Does the TS need a power supply accurately adjustable over that voltage range, or is he looking for a supply that has an output somewhere in that range? For example, will a circuit to flash a xenon tube suffice? Or a voltage multiplier circuit?

Cockcroft_Walton_voltage_multiplier_circuit.svg.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
From the original post:

"...regulated DC power supply which can produce voltage in the range of 200V-3kV"

That seems to be a request for the entire range to be covered via some adjustment mechanism.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Having made a couple of similar supplies, it is not straight forward. One has to find and use appropriate high voltage resistors, design or otherwise procure the necessary voltage step-up circuit, shield the feedback circuitry, observe creepage distances, etc. A lot of subtleties need to be considered. If you can buy a solution for $199 then unless you are a starving student (some are!) that is the best solution.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
BERTAN HIGH VOLTAGE POWER SUPPLY SERIES 225 - 03R 3KV 10MA (NU57)
Price:
US $562.50
"When powered up the item buzzes and gets very hot. There is a smell maybe bad circuit board?
Selling for parts/repair. NO RETURNS!"
"Condition:
For parts or not working"
I thought I'd filtered out the "for parts" items, thanks for catching that.

As far as the price, though, affordable is relative and for what it is, that's very affordable (which is explained by the condition!).