What is the minimal signal strength that the induced electrical tester led begins to turn-on?

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Hi.

On the follow photo you may see the standard induced tester,which the led inside
turns-on when you hold the metal tip of the screwdriver and move it close to sockets,
hot AC electric wire,etc.
induced tester.jpg

My question is:what is the minimum strength of signal,that,usually makes the led to start turn-on?(the sensitivity).

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have no idea but I can tell you that it varies depending on whether you have your finger on the screw head at the opposite end to the probe.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
As AlbertHall mentioned,it is led + a circuit + a battery.
But anyone know what is,more or less the minimum strength of signal
,that,usually makes the led to start turn-on?

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
I didn't refer to the Vac voltage,i refered to the power of the RF strength.(electric field strength/magnetic field strength).
What is the minimum electric field strength(RF signals)that makes the led turn-on?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
That obviously depends, inter alia, on the circuitry used, which may differ according to the manufacturer.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
xchcui.......it will depend on what the screwdriver is meant to measure. Most testers like that are to indicate AC power.....not rf.
I have not seen nor could I find a led tester like that on google.
If you are in a country that uses 120 ac.......then about 50-60 volts of ac (or rf).............will lite a neon bulb.

If you want to measure weak rf fields..............there are many other circuits to choose from.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
That obviously depends, inter alia, on the circuitry used, which may differ according to the manufacturer.
You don't have to mention the exactly field strength of that particular tester.It will be enough to know,in general what is the minimum strength signal that will start turn-on the led.
I don't know which unit is exactly appropriate to use,but can you answer that question by using:mV/m(field intensity/strength)unit or maybe other unit?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You don't have to mention the exactly field strength of that particular tester.It will be enough to know,in general what is the minimum strength signal that will start turn-on the led.
I don't know which unit is exactly appropriate to use,but can you answer that question by using:mV/m(field intensity/strength)unit or maybe other unit?
Given that nobody knows an answer to that question why don't you measure it and let us all know.