What is the mean of that? Plz help

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006
I ask my supplier about efficiency of my mono phase induction motor.
he sent me that;
Efficiency
eff≥46%
What ise the mean of that.
46% is very low.
isn't it or is there anything i overlooked.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
he sent me that;
Efficiency
eff≥46%
46% is very low.
Low compared to what?
An efficient SMPS -- Yes
A solar cell -- No
What were you expecting from rotating machinery?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's quite unlikely Papabravo. A single phase induction motor would almost always be >70% efficiency when operated within its spec. 80% or so would be more typical.

To get one under 50% efficiency you would have to practically wind it with resistance wire, that's for any decent sized one (which would have typical magnetics).

This one in question might be some tiny cheap weird thing but if I received a reply back with >=46% efficiency for an AC motor it would definitely raise an eyebrow. That might be some type of broad spec, ie worse case, but even then...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's quite unlikely Papabravo. A single phase induction motor would almost always be >70% efficiency when operated within its spec. 80% or so would be more typical.

To get one under 50% efficiency you would have to practically wind it with resistance wire, that's for any decent sized one (which would have typical magnetics).

This one in question might be some tiny cheap weird thing but if I received a reply back with >=46% efficiency for an AC motor it would definitely raise an eyebrow. That might be some type of broad spec, ie worse case, but even then...
Of course we can speculate until the cows come home, but only the OP can shed additional light on the situation.

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006

Hi,
No additional information. only >=46.
what is the worst case situation for a single phase ind. motor.
it may be no load condition?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I think you have a very cheap poor quality motor that has a terrible efficiency.
Even its manufacturer cannot say how bad it is.

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006
I think you have a very cheap poor quality motor that has a terrible efficiency.
Even its manufacturer cannot say how bad it is.
it is not acceptable. %46 is a massacre . all countries have energy efficiency standarts. this manufacturer can't sell its products to anyone. >= 46 must have another mean.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
he sent me that;
Efficiency
eff≥46%
46% is very low.

apparently there is some kind of communication barrier that must be over come.....

anyway I believe the >=46% has a pretty broad spectrum, it could mean the motor runs @ 80% efficiency at full load and could get down to 46% efficiency without a load considering that Electric motors operate efficiently when they are heavily loaded – meaning they efficiently translate electricity into work. But when motors are lightly loaded, they become very inefficient and waste electricity.

this is a really big concern for appliance manufacturers and such for home/commercial appliances that use single phase induction motors, companies such as these >> http://www.powerefficiencycorp.com/product_1p.php << are always trying to develop a way to run these motors more efficiently with lighter loads such as clothes dryers and washing machines....

My .02