What is the main difference between Ground and Neutral?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If you are talking about the AC in your house, Neutral carries the return current from whatever you are operating. Ground is the safety wire to carry any current resulting from a fault in the device you are operating. Do a search. This has been discussed so many times with so many ways of explaining it.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
That's a good short explanation.

I also like the "code" definition.

Shorter yet.:D

Neutral (wire)= grounded conductor.

Ground (wire)= grounding conductor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In terms of the common AC supply they are considered to be at the same potential, one main distinction is that neutral is considered a current carrying conductor whereas the ground should never intentionally be used as as such.
Max.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Don't get too technical on this one. This is a school question. See Homework section for, "Which one is the best system... 60Hz or 50Hz."

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
In terms of the common AC supply they are considered to be at the same potential, one main distinction is that neutral is considered a current carrying conductor whereas the ground should never intentionally be used as as such.

Max.
This one should have a sticky !!!

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Talking about swinging the lead...... I forgot to retract the trailing wire antenna (150' of copper clad steel wire with a 5 lb lead weight) only once. What a mess of wire on the runway when we landed. No telling how many gooney birds I wiped out.