What is the job of that IC "74HCT245"?

buffon2009

Joined Dec 7, 2011
hi everyone

i wanna know What is the job of that IC "74HCT245"? as in see it in schematics of some device

when i downloaded the database, i found that its "Octal Bus Transceiver" So what meant by that?

Thank you in advance

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What schematic;) The function will depend on how it is used. I used it in 8 bit micro processor applications. As a buffer between the the processor and the other units on the data bus. In those days the micro processor could only drive a few TTL loads. But the 74xx245 was able to drive much higher number of TTL loads. And hence it was used as a bidirectional buffer
Try google and bus transceiver for more info

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Yes, t06afre is right. You can think of it as 2x 74xx244 connected back to back, with a direction control logic. When DIR is H, signals flow from left to right and vice versa when DIR is L.

Allen

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Hmmm...
Octal bus transciever::::::
This means it buffers eight data lines...
But also passes data both ways (hence transceiver).
It also has an enable pin so that it can turn on and off (hence it can be used to completely isolate data buss segments (which is what i normally use them for more than anything)...
Yea - I know someone will chime in that you need logic decode circuitry and all that stff,,, yadda,,,, yadda.....
By utilizing Bus Tranceivers you are able to isolate the data lines to say an I/O or Just a "sensor" or "drive" controller.
If you want to get technical, a 3-state Octal bus would give you the ability to handle more than one I/O ports with one device (assuming the data or address is 8-bits) - but the beauty is that you can use two for 16.... or three for 24... or four for 32... etc (assuming you have a circuit board the size of you dining room table....
But seriously...everyone is right: Its a handy little tool in MicroController Development. I wouldn't leave the electron shack without one (or two,,, or three)...
Dave
Phoenix, AZ
www.phoenixcomputerlabs.com//Robotics/Chapter-9.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C General Electronics Chat 4