what is the inductance and resistance of the fan we can use for simulation purposes

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I want to simulate a AC ceiling fan operating with 240V. I want to add some external electronic circuit. I would like to analyze the behavior of the fan circuitry depending on my inputs. so could some one please tell me the inductance and resistance of the fan ?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Very complex as this varies with RPM.
The mechanical time constant needs to be included for any meaningful simulation.

Probably not worth the trouble- you might find the results horribly wrong after much wasted time- test the real thing.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Pick a ceiling fan and measure the inductance. maybe a vintage one might be less complicated.
primative motor simulations are available to public. Porting to a mechanical sim might need vibration, bearings, air speed, torque, comsol, rpm
to get the right load to see the effects on standard mains through a motor. Why we prefer an actual motor and actual equipment.
https://www.mathworks.com/videos/modeling-a-dc-motor-68852.html

Last edited:

jeffl_2

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Most ceiling fans are reversible. An AC motor for a ceiling fan is generally what's known as a capacitor-run induction motor, meaning there are two windings (generally manifested as three terminals) and the direction depends on which winding the capacitor is in series with (in other words which end of the capacitor the line is connected to). Most ceiling fans are also multi-speed, and on most commercial fans with AC motors this would be accomplished by varying the tap on a transformer from which the fan is driven. In theory you could also drive the motor with a phase-angle control or VFD, the VFD usually isn't used because the cost cannot be justified (although in this application the drop in available torque would be tolerable as the speed decreases), the phase-angle control usually doesn't work well with a capacitor-run motor if you attempt to control the drive angle of both windings at the same time, and avoiding that situation leads to more complexity than it's worth. If you still need the inductance of a particular "HP rating" of capacitor-run motor you can frequently find it on the data sheet for a motor that size by looking on the website of a manufacturer or distributor who sells similar units.