what is the cheapest way in which i can make a 230V ac to 5 V dc converter for a PCB project?

jenish

Joined Feb 20, 2019
the project is aimed for household use and to be mounted on an air conditioner for temperature monitoring so it should be safe to use, I am currently using HLK-pm01 but it is adding a lot to the overall cost , I need to chop down the cost as one of the main concern is to make this project low cost, and i do not aim to use battery as that will bring the hassle of charging which will break its continuity of operation.

also, I am curious to know how these consumer electronics products make so cheap products along with the packaging and other costs with ac to dc converter and other electronics in them.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi jenish,
The 'safe' way to get +5Vdc from the 230Vac mains supply is to use a step down transformer, rectifier and a 5V linear regulator.
E

jenish

Joined Feb 20, 2019
hi jenish,
The 'safe' way to get +5Vdc from the 230Vac mains supply is to use a step down transformer, rectifier and a 5V linear regulator.
E
Yes but some devices like Google home mini or other consumer electronics products are so compact, the transformers I go to purchase make the project bulky and heavy. So do they go for some other approach?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Those are so dated phone chargers. The phones now are using way more better chargers
My Girlfriends Iphone 10 has a 2 amp charger My LG v40 puts out 9 volts and 5 volts
These things have changed a lot in the last 2 years.

The Motorola is the best of those in that list @post 8 if you want a solid supply around 800 mA the box list them as 1 amp.

We have 2 senors that use them, There charger is made like the Motorola there very clean power.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those are so dated phone chargers. The phones now are using way more better chargers
My Girlfriends Iphone 10 has a 2 amp charger My LG v40 puts out 9 volts and 5 volts
Modern chargers are implementing various ways to negotiate higher voltage charging, but the TS asked for 5V and how they can accomplish the job so inexpensively. I don't think he was looking for a better charger.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
So funny
I am currently using HLK-pm01 but it is adding a lot to the overall cost , I need to chop down the cost as one of the main concern is to make this project
Those are way smaller then a charger and if your buying there cheaper too. 80 cent's each and you can get 3.3 volt 5 volt and 12

jenish

Joined Feb 20, 2019
So funny

Those are way smaller then a charger and if your buying there cheaper too. 80 cent's each and you can get 3.3 volt 5 volt and 12
just tell me the suppliers where can I get hlkpm for 80 cents each. it would be very helpful to me

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
the project is aimed for household use and to be mounted on an air conditioner for temperature monitoring so it should be safe to use, I am currently using HLK-pm01 but it is adding a lot to the overall cost , I need to chop down the cost as one of the main concern is to make this project low cost, and i do not aim to use battery as that will bring the hassle of charging which will break its continuity of operation.

also, I am curious to know how these consumer electronics products make so cheap products along with the packaging and other costs with ac to dc converter and other electronics in them.
It would be much more helpful if you indicated what your cost ceiling is and how much current you need.

As for consumer electronics prices, it's called economies of scale. If I'm making ten million of something a year, I can make a one time investment of a million dollars to reduce the cost of production by 20 cents and add a million dollars a year to my bottom line (assuming others don't do the same and force me to lower by price) the very first year and two million every year after that.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
just tell me the suppliers where can I get hlkpm for 80 cents each. it would be very helpful to me
Most OpShops have them second hand at toss out prices.
And if you have an old phone, you probably have some power supplies too.
I often see them thrown away and there is nothing wrong with using a second hand good quality plug pack.
I would stay away from the "new" cheap ones, unless they are superseded types and of a real supplier's branding.