What is the best microcontroller to control a line following robot?

icem

Joined Nov 15, 2009
Im doing a project in which i have design and make a line following robot. I am stuck on deciding what microcontroller i to control the robot. The robot with use IR LEDs and photodiodes as the sensors and the wheels will be controlled by two stepper motors. i was just advise me on whats the microcontroller to use.

Thanks you

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
A couple of good choices are PIC or AVR.

If you like free software development tools, you can go with ATMEL's AVRSTUDIO4 (Integrated Development Environment) and WINAVR (The C-language add-in). Of course I am assuming that you have a Windows PC.

Perhaps you can give us additional details about your Robot.

hgmjr

icem

Joined Nov 15, 2009
The robot has to follow a black line. The robot will have 5 photoreflective sensors , which will be use to track the line. The robot will have two wheels, each wheel will be controlled by a hybrid stepper motor. In the robot design, one microprocesser will used to control the robot.

I have heard of PIC microprocessers but not AVR microprocessers and yes i am using a Windows PC.

If i were to used PIC microprocessers can you recommend the best model to use.

Thank you

icem

Joined Nov 15, 2009
I know c programming
I have programed a PIC device before using assembly code to mimic traffic lights.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you are going to use assembly language to write your program then you will want to stick with PIC since you will have the minimum learning curve.

hgmjr

icem

Joined Nov 15, 2009
Thanks you for your help
Just 2 more questions
What if i use C programming?
Do recommend a specfic PIC processer i should use or will any model do?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
List the interfaces and inputs/outputs you will need. After that, the selection gets easier, as you know what features to look for.