what is so special about TWO PORT NETWORKS?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Because that's how devices are characterized. If you're a student, this will be one of the most importand concepts you'll learn.

Vahe

Joined Mar 3, 2011
two ports are important in the characterization of networks and can be used as the basis of studying feedback in amplifiers.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A two-port network allows an output that is different from the input. It's typical of most amplifiers and makes the network relatively easy to analyze.

Some networks can have only one port, such as the old tunnel diode high frequency amplifiers, which made them generally difficult to analyze and design.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
When I first heard of a "Two Port Network", I thought it was about the streets and highways through the Port Of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach, both located next to each other in Southern California.

Shucks, I should have posted this in the Jokes department!!! :p

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Why is there so much talk about two port networks in books and stuff I don't fully understand, what happens if a thing is not two port?
Abstractly speaking; physical phenomena are often conveniently regarded as scalar in nature -- hence the tendency to 'reduce' systems to 'binary' paradigms for analytical purposes -- I know!:rolleyes: -- But what can I say? As time and tradition attest, it is an effective approach:D

Best regards
HP